Ancer clings on to win LIV Hong Kong in dramatic playoff

‘I made that so hard on myself,’ Abraham Ancer said after holing a four-foot putt to win the $4 million first prize in the inaugural LIV Golf Hong Kong on Sunday. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 10 March 2024
Follow

Ancer clings on to win LIV Hong Kong in dramatic playoff

  • Mexican star blows a five-stroke lead before beating Cam Smith and Paul Casey with a brilliant birdie

HONG KONG: Abraham Ancer won the inaugural LIV Golf Hong Kong on Sunday, blowing a five-stroke lead before beating Cam Smith and Paul Casey with a brilliant birdie on the first playoff hole.

“I made that so hard on myself,” a relieved Ancer said after holing a 4-foot putt to win the $4 million first prize in the Saudi-backed event.

Ancer had started the day five clear of the pack on 15-under after bogey-free rounds of 63 on Friday and 62 on Saturday at the Hong Kong Golf Club.

But the Mexican saw his ultra-smooth swing of the first two days desert him in chilly and wet conditions on Sunday, as he returned a two-over 72 in front of big crowds, who turned out in force despite the deteriorating weather.

“The ball-striking wasn’t there, but mentally I was really strong, so I felt really good,” he said straight after the playoff, where he set up only his second birdie of the day with a superb approach.

“I just kept myself in it and hit the right shot at the right time there in the playoff.”

Englishman Casey holed a spectacular bunker shot for a birdie at his final hole, the 16th, to complete a six-under round of 64 and draw level with Ancer and Australia’s Smith (66) on 13-under par. But he found a fairway bunker off the tee in the playoff to end his hopes.

“I played some great golf,” said Casey, whose “Crushers” won the team competition and a $3 million first prize to go with his $1,875,000 for a share of second place.

“I’m not going to measure it on the playoff hole, on one tee shot, something like that. It was a really good week.”

For Smith, the 2022 British Open champion, it was the second agonizing disappointment on Hong Kong’s final green in four months.

In November, he saw New Zealand’s Ben Campbell hole a birdie on 18 to pip him to the Hong Kong Open title.

Earlier, Ancer stumbled to his first bogey of the week at the par-three fifth after finding sand off the tee.

Another bogey at the short eighth reduced his lead to two strokes, though he repaired some of the damage with his first birdie of the round on the par-four 10th.

A disastrous drive into a stream on the 15th dropped him back to 13-under and Smith swept home a 20-foot birdie putt to draw level.

US Masters champion Jon Rahm was LIV’s biggest coup when he defected from the PGA Tour in December.

Rahm briefly got into contention at 12-under before two bogeys at the 14th and 16th ended his challenge as he finished 10-under par after a frustrating 71.

Chile’s Joaquin Niemann won two of the previous LIV events this season, including last week in Saudi Arabia.

He sunk the week’s first hole-in-one, at the 188-yard eighth, in a brilliant round of 63 to finish tied for fourth with another Mexican, Carlos Ortiz (66).

Finland’s Kalle Samooja then aced the 149-yard second hole for the sixth LIV hole-in-one since the breakaway tour began in 2022.

Three-time PGA Tour winner Anthony Kim shot a final-round 65, his best round since making his first professional appearance since 2012 at last week’s LIV Golf event in Jeddah.

“I just kept doing what I’ve been working on the last two months,” he said. 

“Obviously being away from the game for so long, it’s been tough to practice and get all the things that I need to get prepared for the tournament, but I’m working on the right things at this moment.”


Emotional Kim captures first title in 16 years at LIV Adelaide

Updated 15 February 2026
Follow

Emotional Kim captures first title in 16 years at LIV Adelaide

  • An “overwhelmed” Anthony Kim outplayed two-time major winner Jon Rahm to capture his maiden LIV Golf title Sunday

ADELAIDE: An “overwhelmed” Anthony Kim outplayed two-time major winner Jon Rahm to capture his maiden LIV Golf title Sunday and first on any tour since 2010 to complete an amazing redemption story.
The 40-year-old American, a one-time alcoholic, fired a nine-under-par 63, surging home with five birdies on the back nine to claim victory in Adelaide by three strokes.
He began the day five behind former world number one Rahm and fellow overnight leader Bryson DeChambeau, but reeled them in at Grange Golf Club with a faultless round.
In front of bumper crowds and a carnival atmosphere, he finished at 23-under, three clear of Spain’s Rahm, who never really got going, mixing two birdies with a bogey in his 71.
American DeChambeau, also a two-time major winner, suffered a horror round with four bogeys in six holes on the front nine to slide down the leaderboard.
He finished tied for third, six off the pace, with Tyrrell Hatton and Peter Uihlein.
Victory capped an incredible comeback by Kim — a Ryder Cup champion, three-time PGA Tour winner and former world number six who retired from golf in 2012.
After battling drug and alcohol addiction and suicidal thoughts, he returned to the sport in 2024 as a wildcard on the Saudi-backed LIV Tour.
He was relegated last season but earned his way back at last month’s LIV Golf Promotions when he claimed one of three qualifying spots.
Kim then got offered a full-time position with Dustin Johnson’s 4Aces GC for the 2026 season when Patrick Reed suddenly quit to play on the DP World Tour.
He paid tribute to his family for helping him through the hard times and to his first win since the Houston Open in 2010.
“It’s been overwhelming,” he said. “But I’m never not going to fight for my family.
“God gave me a talent. I was able to produce some good golf today. I knew it was coming.
“Nobody else has to believe in me, but me. And for anybody that’s struggling, you can get through anything.”
A precocious talent who burst on the scene in 2006, Kim was the spark-plug of the 2008 US Ryder Cup team that beat Europe at Valhalla Golf Club in Kentucky.
He won three PGA Tour titles before his sensational decision to walk away.
“I just want to thank all the people that have supported me when I was not playing well and I was struggling on the verge of never coming back to live,” said Kim, who announced in 2025 that he had been sober for two years.
Kim was coming off his best result in his 25 LIV Golf starts, a tie for 22nd at last week’s season-opening tournament in Riyadh.