Saudi Arabia, Bangladesh in talks to engage workers in Kingdom’s green initiatives

Saudi Ambassador Essa Al-Duhailan meets Bangladeshi Foreign Minister Hasan Mahmud in Dhaka on Feb. 22, 2024. (Bangladesh MoFA)
Short Url
Updated 23 February 2024
Follow

Saudi Arabia, Bangladesh in talks to engage workers in Kingdom’s green initiatives

  • Saudi Arabia ‘open’ to cooperation, Riyadh’s envoy tells Bangladesh’s new FM
  • They also discuss preparations for the upcoming Hajj pilgrimage season

DHAKA: Saudi Arabia is open to engaging Bangladeshi workers in its green initiatives, Riyadh’s envoy has said following talks with Dhaka’s new top diplomat.

Nearly 3 million Bangladeshis live and work in Saudi Arabia. They are the largest expat group in the Kingdom and also the biggest Bangladeshi community outside Bangladesh.

Under the Kingdom’s Vision 2030, even more of them are likely to find employment in Saudi Arabia, especially if they are skilled professionals or their jobs are related to the vision’s projects.

Riyadh’s Ambassador to Dhaka Essa Al-Duhailan discussed the possibilities during his first meeting with Bangladesh’s Foreign Minister Hasan Mahmud, who recently assumed office following last month’s general election.

The foreign minister is a renowned ecologist and academic specializing in environmental sciences.

“We talked about the Saudi Green Initiative and Middle East Green Initiative to have some farmers and experts from Bangladesh participate … in planting more than 50 billion trees in the region,” Al-Duhailan told Arab News after the meeting on Thursday.

He said the Saudi side was “open to any suggestion and cooperation.”

The green initiatives launched by Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman in 2021 are focused on combating climate change and safeguarding the environment for future generations in Saudi Arabia and the Middle East through emissions reduction, afforestation, and land and sea protection.

The planting of 50 billion trees across the Middle East is the equivalent of restoring 200 million hectares of degraded land. A fifth of the trees will be planted within the Kingdom’s borders, with the remaining 40 billion set to be planted across the broader region in the coming decades.

The Saudi ambassador said he also discussed with the foreign minister the Kingdom’s plans to streamline the employment of Bangladeshis in order to “ease the procedures for the workers,” as well as preparations for the upcoming Hajj season.

“We will, inshallah, implement the Makkah Route initiative this year, for the fourth (time),” he added.

The Makkah Route initiative is a flagship program launched by Saudi Arabia in 2019, allowing pilgrims to fulfill all visa, customs and health requirements at the airport of origin, saving long hours of waiting. Upon arrival, pilgrims can enter Saudi Arabia without waiting, having already gone through visa and customs processes back home.


Trump administration expands ICE authority to detain refugees

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Trump administration expands ICE authority to detain refugees

  • Under US law, refugees must apply for lawful permanent resident status one year after their arrival in the country
WASHINGTON: The Trump administration has given immigration officers broader powers to detain legal refugees awaiting a green card to ensure they are “re-vetted,” an apparent expansion of ​the president’s wide-ranging crackdown on legal and illegal immigration, according to a government memo.
The US Department of Homeland Security, in a memo dated February 18 and submitted in a federal court filing, said refugees must return to government custody for “inspection and examination” a year after their admission into the United States.
“This detain-and-inspect requirement ensures that refugees are re-vetted after one year, aligns post-admission vetting with that ‌applied to ‌other applicants for admission, and promotes public ​safety,” ‌the ⁠department said ​in ⁠the memo.
Under US law, refugees must apply for lawful permanent resident status one year after their arrival in the country. The new memo authorizes immigration authorities to detain individuals for the duration of the re-inspection process.
The new policy is a shift from the earlier 2010 memorandum, which stated that failure to obtain lawful permanent resident status ⁠was not a “basis” for removal from the country ‌and not a “proper basis” for ‌detention.
The DHS did not respond to ​a Reuters request for comment outside ‌regular business hours.
The decision has prompted criticism from refugee advocacy groups.
AfghanEvac’s ‌president Shawn VanDiver called the directive “a reckless reversal of long-standing policy” and said it “breaks faith with people the United States lawfully admitted and promised protection.”
HIAS, formerly known as the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society, said the “move ‌will cause grave harm to thousands of people who were welcomed to the United States after ⁠fleeing violence ⁠and persecution.” Under President Donald Trump, the number of people in ICE detention reached about 68,000 this month, up about 75 percent from when he took office last year.
Trump’s hard-line immigration agenda was a potent campaign issue that helped him win the 2024 election.
A US judge in January temporarily blocked a recently announced Trump administration policy targeting the roughly 5,600 lawful refugees in Minnesota who are awaiting green cards.
In a written ruling, US District Judge John Tunheim in Minneapolis said federal agents likely violated multiple federal statutes by ​arresting some of these refugees ​to subject them to additional vetting.