Brazil foreign minister says Israeli counterpart ‘lying’ in Gaza spat

Brazil's Foreign Minister, Mauro Vieira, speaking during a press conference after meeting with Argentina's future chancellor Diana Mondino in Brasilia, on November 26, 2023. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 21 February 2024
Follow

Brazil foreign minister says Israeli counterpart ‘lying’ in Gaza spat

  • Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Lula had “crossed a red line,” and Katz declared the Brazilian leader “persona non grata in the state of Israel so long as he doesn’t retract his remarks and apologize”

RIO DE JANEIRO: Brazil’s foreign minister on Tuesday accused his Israeli counterpart of “lying” as a diplomatic spat escalated over President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva’s comparison of Israel’s military campaign in Gaza to the Holocaust.
Mauro Vieira, whose country is hosting a G20 foreign ministers meeting this week, said statements by Israel Katz were “unacceptable in their nature and lying in their content” as well as “outrageous.”
Israel has reacted furiously after Lula said the conflict in the Gaza Strip “isn’t a war, it’s a genocide,” and compared it to “when Hitler decided to kill the Jews.”
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Lula had “crossed a red line,” and Katz declared the Brazilian leader “persona non grata in the state of Israel so long as he doesn’t retract his remarks and apologize.”
Katz summoned Brazil’s ambassador Frederico Meyer for a meeting Monday at the Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial center in Jerusalem.
In a tit-for-tat move, the Brazilian foreign ministry then summoned the Israeli ambassador to Brazil, Daniel Zonshinem, and recalled Meyer from Tel Aviv for consultations.
On Tuesday, Katz took to X to describe Lula’s comparison as “delusional.”
 

 

 


Maldives moves to merge key elections to cut costs

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Maldives moves to merge key elections to cut costs

  • The Maldives will hold a nationwide referendum in April to decide whether the presidential and parliamentary elections can be held on the same day to cut costs, an official said Wednesday
MALE: The Maldives will hold a nationwide referendum in April to decide whether the presidential and parliamentary elections can be held on the same day to cut costs, an official said Wednesday.
President Mohamed Muizzu has set the plebiscite for April 4, which if approved, would bring forward the next parliamentary vote and shorten the current legislature’s term by about five months.
Parliamentary elections are scheduled for early 2029, while the presidential poll is due in September 2028.
Muizzu’s spokesman said the president issued the decree on referendum on Monday night.
The referendum will take place alongside local council elections.
Muizzu has argued that holding both the national elections together would save the Indian Ocean archipelago about $8 million.
The People’s Majlis, dominated by Muizzu’s party, passed a resolution last week calling for constitutional amendments to synchronize the electoral calendar.
Former president Mohamed Nasheed has also publicly backed the proposed overhaul.
The push for reform comes as the Maldives faces fiscal pressures.
The International Monetary Fund last year urged stronger consolidation measures to stabilize the economy, despite a thriving tourism industry.
The government rejected an IMF bailout in 2024 and instead announced sweeping spending cuts, including halving Muizzu’s salary.
Home to around 382,000 people, the Maldives insists its financial strains are temporary and says it has no plans to seek external assistance.