Afghan ex-commandos blocked from UK relocation by British colleagues

The Afghan soldiers applying for relocation may have been able to add crucial eyewitness accounts of war crimes. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 19 February 2024
Follow

Afghan ex-commandos blocked from UK relocation by British colleagues

  • UK special forces had final say over applications despite facing war crimes allegations
  • ‘Triples’ members could have provided evidence as part of investigation

LONDON: Elite Afghan soldiers who served alongside coalition forces against the Taliban were rejected from relocating to the UK by British special forces personnel, the BBC reported on Monday.

Documents leaked to the national broadcaster reveal that despite compelling evidence of involvement in the anti-Taliban campaign — a prerequisite of the British relocation scheme — many Afghan commando applications were axed by UK special forces reviewers.

The former commandos were eligible to apply for relocation under the Afghan Relocation and Assistance Policy, but dozens have since been attacked or killed by the Taliban after being rejected.

The CF 333 and ATF 444 units, dubbed the “Triples,” fought alongside British special forces in some of the most dangerous campaigns of the war.

Their relocation applications appear to have been sent to their former colleagues in Britain for approval or rejection as part of a new standard operating procedure.

But the designated chain of command has been criticized over an apparent conflict of interest, with special forces units in the UK, including the SAS, long facing controversy over war crimes allegations.

The Afghan soldiers applying for relocation may have been able to add crucial eyewitness accounts of war crimes, threatening the reopening of an official investigation that was shut down in 2019.

One British former special forces officer said: “It’s a clear conflict of interest. At a time when certain actions by UK special forces are under investigation by a public inquiry, their headquarters also had the power to prevent former Afghan special forces colleagues and potential witnesses to these actions from getting safely to the UK.”

Armed Forces Minister James Heappey recently pledged to review about 2,000 Triples applications after discovering that the reasoning behind some rejections was “not robust.”

Internal emails from the UK’s Ministry of Defence demonstrate the power of special forces reviewers to make or break relocation applications.

In some cases, civil servants tried to challenge rejections made by the special forces but were rebuffed.

Former Triples members told the BBC from Afghanistan that they now face significant danger and are unable to stay with their families or work.

One was beaten and interrogated by Taliban authorities before going on the run. He said: “I’m living in a very bad situation. I am in hiding and mostly my family can’t live together and we cannot go out and we cannot work.

“I was sure that my British colleagues and friends, who we worked for several years alongside, would help me to evacuate to safety.

“Now I feel that the sacrifices I made have been forgotten. I feel I have been left alone in the midst of hell.”

In another case, a former Triples member, at the time of the group’s joint operations with the SAS, complained to British military authorities over alleged war crimes perpetrated by his Western colleagues.

Pending an investigation, he forbade his men from taking part in supporting operations for SAS missions, alleging that extrajudicial killings of Afghan civilians were taking place.

An MoD spokesperson said: “We are conducting an independent, case-by-case review of all applications from former members of Afghan specialist units, which includes applications from the Triples.

“This review will consider all available evidence, including that provided by third parties. The review is being carried out by independent staff who have not previously worked on these applications.”


Trump to remove Vietnam from restricted tech list: Hanoi

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Trump to remove Vietnam from restricted tech list: Hanoi

HANOI: US President Donald Trump told Vietnam’s top leader To Lam he would “instruct the relevant agencies” to remove the country from a list restricted from accessing advanced US technologies, Vietnam’s government announced Saturday.
The two leaders met in person for the first time at the White House on Friday, after Lam attended the inaugural meeting of Trump’s “Board of Peace” in Washington.
“Donald Trump said he would instruct the relevant agencies to soon remove Vietnam from the strategic export control list,” Hanoi’s Government News website said.
The two countries were locked in protracted trade negotiations when the US Supreme Court ruled many of Trump’s sweeping tariffs were illegal.
Three Vietnamese airlines announced nearly $37 billion in purchases this week, in a series of contracts signed with US aerospace companies.
Fledgling airline Sun PhuQuoc Airways placed an order for 40 of Boeing’s 787 Dreamliners, a long-haul aircraft, with an estimated total value of $22.5 billion, while national carrier Vietnam Airlines placed an $8.1 billion order for around 50 Boeing 737-8 aircraft.
When Trump announced his “Liberation Day” tariffs in April, Vietnam had the third-largest trade surplus with the US of any country after China and Mexico, and was targeted with one of the highest rates in Trump’s tariff blitz.
But in July, Hanoi secured a minimum 20 percent tariff with Washington, down from more than 40 percent, in return for opening its market to US products including cars.
Trump signed off on a global 10-percent tariff on Friday on all countries hours after the Supreme Court ruled many of his levies on imports were illegal.