Atletico Madrid back in Copa del Rey semifinals 7 years later. VAR denies stoppage-time penalty for Sevilla

Atletico Madrid's Dutch forward Memphis Depay (2L) celebrates scoring his team's first goal with teammates during the Spanish Copa del Rey (King's Cup) quarter final football match between Club Atletico de Madrid and Sevilla FC at the Metropolitano stadium in Madrid on Jan. 25, 2024. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 26 January 2024
Follow

Atletico Madrid back in Copa del Rey semifinals 7 years later. VAR denies stoppage-time penalty for Sevilla

  • Atletico join Athletic Bilbao, Mallorca and Real Sociedad in the semifinals
  • Diego Simeone’s team, seeking their first Copa title since 2013, eliminated defending champions Real Madrid in the round of 16 of the Copa this season

MADRID: Seven years later, Atletico Madrid is back in the Copa del Rey semifinals.

Memphis Depay scored in the second half and video review called back a penalty for Sevilla in stoppage time as Atletico held on for a 1-0 victory Thursday to reach the last four for the first time since 2017.

Atletico join Athletic Bilbao, Mallorca and Real Sociedad in the semifinals. The matchups, which will be played on home-and-away series, will be determined on Friday.

“We expected a tight match like this, with few scoring chances, but in the end we found a way to break through and get the victory, which is the only thing that matters,” Atletico goalkeeper Jan Oblak said. “Hopefully we can win this Copa title again after so many years.”

Sevilla thought they had a chance to send the match into extra time when Érik Lamela was brought down inside the area by Pablo Barrios five minutes into stoppage time, but the referee was called by video review and eventually determined there was no foul.

“It was a tough match, a lot of things happened,” Sevilla defender Marcao said. “If I say what I think here, I’ll be suspended for two or three months.”

The loss dealt another blow to Sevilla, who were coming off a 5-1 defeat to Girona in the Spanish league, where they sit just outside the relegation zone. They have lost eight of their last 11 matches in all competitions.

Sevilla coach Quique Sanchez Flores said the match shouldn’t have been played after three Sevilla fans died in a car accident on their way to Madrid earlier Thursday. The coach appeared in the post-match news conference but said he would not talk about the match, only send his condolences.

“We lost on a day in which we are mourning the loss of these fans who were coming to the match,” he said. “I don’t feel like making any analysis about the game.”

Atletico extended their unbeaten run at home to 26 matches, since a 1-0 loss to Barcelona last January.

Diego Simeone’s team, seeking their first Copa title since 2013, eliminated defending champions Real Madrid in the round of 16 of the Copa this season. They were ousted by the rival in the quarterfinals last year.

Depay came off the bench in the 66th and scored the winner in the 79th after a nice move by Angel Correa to get past a defender and feed the ball to his teammate inside the area. Correa had also entered the match in the 66th, replacing Antoine Griezmann.

Griezmann, who recently became Atletico’s all-time leading scorer, had missed a 26th-minute penalty kick when he slipped and sent his shot from the spot way over the crossbar. The France international also had a goal disallowed for offside in the 60th. Depay had a goal called back for offside in the 68th.

Veteran Sevilla defender Sergio Ramos had a clear chance to equalize in the 85th but missed the open net from close range after a hard cross from the right side. The former Real Madrid player, who was often jeered by the Atletico fans at the Metropolitano, also had a chance with a header early in stoppage time.

Sevilla have been in an extended slump, with one victory in their last 15 Spanish league matches. They had also been eliminated in the Copa quarterfinals last season, losing to eventual runner-up Osasuna.

On Wednesday, Athletic Bilbao eliminated Barcelona 4-2 in extra time to make it to the Copa semifinals, while Spanish league leader Girona lost 3-2 to Mallorca.

On Tuesday, Real Sociedad defeated Celta Vigo 2-1 to reach the last four for the first time since winning the competition four seasons ago.

The two-legged semifinals will be played in February. There were single-elimination games until now.


Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup 2027 dates confirmed

Updated 18 February 2026
Follow

Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup 2027 dates confirmed

  • After a record-breaking tournament in January, the competition returns next year from Jan. 8-10

ABU DHABI: The Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup will return in 2027 following another record-breaking edition last month, and the registration window is now open.

From Jan. 8 to 10, 2027, teams from across the world will be able to compete in the eighth edition of the region’s Tournament of Choice.

The competition’s three-day format returns after a successful expansion this year that had more than 8,000 people attend Zayed Sports City across a weekend that featured 3,500 local, regional and international players.

In total, 244 teams from the under-8 to under-16 categories competed in the 2026 edition, with 86 international sides, spanning 18 countries, four continents, and a record-breaking 44 girl teams.

Off the pitch, players and spectators were able to enjoy the City Village that played host to entertainment and activations supported by the club’s partners.

This included the e& Gaming Zone, Puma pop-up and Aldar’s showcase of Fahid Island, as well as performances from a DJ and visits from special guests, including tournament ambassador and Manchester City legend Nedum Onuoha, and event host FG.

Teams will compete for the Abu Dhabi Cup, and individual age-group winners will go into a prize draw for their team to win a trip to a City Football Group club, where they will train and watch the first team in action.

Simon Hewitt, tournament director, and director of Football Operations MENA, said the 2026 edition was a “landmark event.”

“It was the first time we had expanded the tournament to three days, and the reaction to that decision was incredible. Players were able to spend more time on the pitch, take in the incredible atmosphere of the City Village, and enjoy the sights and attractions of Abu Dhabi.

“We might only be a month removed from that tournament, but the hard work in preparing for 2027 starts now. Already, teams are asking when they can register, and we expect huge competition for places from all over the world.”