Pakistan secures second LNG cargo from Azerbaijan’s SOCAR

The logo of Azeri state oil company SOCAR is seen near Gori, Georgia, May 3, 2016. (REUTERS/File)
Short Url
Updated 17 January 2024
Follow

Pakistan secures second LNG cargo from Azerbaijan’s SOCAR

  • Pakistan signed LNG purchase agreement framework with Azerbaijan last year
  • Latest cargo scheduled for February delivery, last cargo was delivered in December

KARACHI: Pakistan has secured a second Liquified Natural Gas (LNG) cargo from the State Oil Company of the Azerbaijan Republic (SOCAR) for delivery in February, the Pakistani energy ministry announced on Wednesday. 

Pakistan LNG Limited (PLL) and SOCAR signed a landmark LNG purchase agreement framework in July last year, a significant milestone in bilateral energy cooperation between the two nations.

“Ministry of Energy (Petroleum Division) and Pakistan LNG Limited (PLL) are pleased to announce the successful procurement of a second LNG cargo from the State Oil Company of the Azerbaijan Republic (SOCAR) under the Government-to-Government Framework Agreement between PLL and SOCAR,” the energy ministry said in statement. 

The cargo is scheduled for delivery in February 2024. The first cargo was delivered in December 2023.

The framework agreement stipulates that SOCAR may offer one LNG cargo per month to PLL, while PLL’s acceptance of the offer is subject to the demand for LNG in Pakistan and commercial considerations, ensuring a reliable and consistent supply of LNG to meet the country’s growing energy demands.

Pakistan requires 4.1 billion cubic feet per day(bcfd) of gas, with winter demand peaking to around 4.5 bcfd against local production of 3.22 bcfd. The shortfall is bridged through LNG imports.

Pakistan meets more than half of its LNG requirement through long-term import contracts while the gap is met through spot cargo purchases. Pakistan has long-term agreements with global energy trader Gunvor and Italy’s ENI for the supply of one LNG cargo every month. 

The south Asian nation imported $6.4 billion worth of petroleum products including $2 billion worth of LNG during the July-November period of the current fiscal year (FY24), according to data from the Pakistan Bureau of Statistics. 


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.