Pakistan forms investigation team to probe ‘malicious’ social media campaign against judges 

Commuters ride past the Pakistan's Supreme Court building in Islamabad on January 12, 2024. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 16 January 2024
Follow

Pakistan forms investigation team to probe ‘malicious’ social media campaign against judges 

  • Legal, political analysts criticized a Supreme Court judgment from last week on the election symbol of ex-PM Khan’s party 
  • Six-member team comprises members of Pakistani intelligence agencies, FIA, and the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority

ISLAMABAD: The Pakistani government has formed a six-member Joint Investigation Team (JIT) to probe a recent “malicious” social media campaign against Supreme Court judges and bring those responsible to book, the interior ministry said in a notification on Tuesday.

Pakistan’s top court last week upheld a decision by the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) to strip former prime minister Imran Khan’s party of its election symbol, a cricket bat. 

The verdict was criticized by legal experts, political analysts, and commentators, while the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HRCP) expressed concern over it. Khan supporters also criticized the judgment on social media platforms. 

“The Federal Government has been pleased to constitute a Joint Investigation Team (JIT) in terms of Section 30 of the Prevention of Electronic Crimes Act, 2016,” the notification read. 

The team would be headed by the additional director general of the Federal Investigation Agency’s cybercrime wing and would comprise members of the Intelligence Bureau (IB), the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA), the deputy inspector general of Islamabad Police and any other co-opted member. 

The ministry said the JIT would “ascertain facts behind malicious social media campaign” attempting to malign the image of Pakistan’s Supreme Court judges.

It said the JIT’s terms of reference would also include identifying and bringing those responsible to book as per relevant laws. 

“The JIT shall submit a preliminary report to the Ministry of Interior within a fortnight,” it said. 

Pakistan’s controversial PECA law has been criticized by media associations and rights groups, who accuse governments of using the law to suppress dissent and clamp down on democratic forces. 


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”