Tunisians protest on Arab Spring uprising anniversary

People commemorate the 13th anniversary of the Tunisian uprising in Avenue Habib Bourguiba, Tunis, Sunday, Jan. 14, 2024. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 14 January 2024
Follow

Tunisians protest on Arab Spring uprising anniversary

  • A number of President Kais Saied’s opponents are currently behind bars as the North African country prepares for presidential elections in December this year

TUNIS: Hundreds of Tunisians demonstrated on Sunday to mark the anniversary of the country’s 2011 revolution that sparked the Arab Spring uprisings, and to demand the release of jailed opposition leaders.
They marched down the central thoroughfare of the capital Tunis waving the national flag, commemorating the day when dictator Zine El Abidine Ben Ali was ousted — which set off a series of uprisings across the Middle East.
“The spirit of January 14 is still here,” said Moncef Araissia, a retiree who was among the several hundred protesters that AFP journalists estimated turned out for the demonstration.
“Our vision is still the same, despite some mistakes we made, and despite the coup that took place,” he added, referring to President Kais Saied’s sweeping power grab.
Saied was democratically elected in 2019, but two years later he sacked the government and suspended parliament. He later amended the constitution to further centralize power.
A number of his opponents are currently behind bars as the North African country prepares for presidential elections in December this year.
Ahmed Nejib Chebbi, leader of the National Salvation Front (FSN) opposition coalition, said the polls should not be conducted under conditions set by Saied.
“Candidates are in jail or have been threatened to prevent them from running, the election authority is under (Saied’s) control... journalists are harassed and prosecuted,” he added.
“This is not free competition.”
Early last year, authorities arrested a number of Saied’s political opponents and others opposed to the government, and they were later jailed over an alleged plot against the state.
Among them were Rached Ghannouchi, the 82-year-old leader of the opposition Ennahdha party, and Jawhar Ben Mbarek, co-founder of the FSN.
Ghannouchi received a one-year prison sentence on terrorism-related charges in May.
At least 16 Tunisian journalists currently face trial, according to local media.
Many are being prosecuted under a law introduced by Saied to punish “spreading false news” with up to 10 years in prison.
 

 


Turkiye foreign minister to attend Trump’s Board of Peace meeting in Washington

Updated 58 min 59 sec ago
Follow

Turkiye foreign minister to attend Trump’s Board of Peace meeting in Washington

  • Hakan Fidan to call ‌for ⁠determined steps to ⁠resolve the Palestinian issue
  • To also emphasize Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza, stop its ceasefire violations

ANKARA: ‌Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan will travel to Washington in lieu of President Tayyip Erdogan for the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump’s “Board of Peace” on Thursday, the foreign ministry said on Wednesday.
A Turkish diplomatic source said ‌that Fidan, during the ‌talks, would call ‌for ⁠determined steps to ⁠resolve the Palestinian issue and emphasize that Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza and stop its ceasefire violations.
Fidan ⁠will also reiterate Turkiye’s ‌readiness ‌to contribute to Gaza’s reconstruction and its ‌desire to help protect Palestinians ‌and ensure their security, the source said. He will also call for urgent action against Israel’s “illegal ‌settlement activities and settler violence in the West Bank,” ⁠the ⁠source added.
According to a readout from Erdogan’s office, the president separately told reporters on Wednesday that he hoped the Board of Peace would help achieve “the lasting stability, ceasefire, and eventually peace that Gaza has longed for,” and would focus on bringing about a two-state solution.