‘Vote is my power’: First-time voters hope elections will bring stability to Pakistan

A worker prints election campaign posters of Pakistan's former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif (top 3L) and his daughter Maryam Nawaz (top L) at a printer in Lahore on January 9, 2024, ahead of the upcoming general elections. (AFP/File)
Short Url

‘Vote is my power’: First-time voters hope elections will bring stability to Pakistan

  • Many of the first-timers favor former prime minister Imran Khan over other political leaders 
  • Some, however, remain skeptical of transparency of the elections, scheduled for February 8 

ISLAMABAD: As Pakistan gears up for national elections on Feb, 8, first-time voters hope the much-delayed polls would lead to stability in the South Asian country after more than a year of political and economic chaos. 

Pakistan, a country of over 241 million people, has witnessed political turmoil since the ouster of former prime minister Imran Khan in a parliamentary no-confidence vote in April 2022. Decades of financial mismanagement brought the country to the verge of a default in June 2023, which was averted by a last-gasp $3 billion financing from the International Monetary Fund (IMF). 

Elections in the country were originally expected to take place in November after Pakistan’s national and two provincial assemblies were dissolved in August before reaching the end of their tenure. However, Pakistan’s election regulator decided to redraw hundreds of national and provincial constituencies based on a digital census carried out in April before arranging the electoral contest. 

Pakistan is currently navigating a tricky path to economic recovery under a caretaker government in the wake of the IMF program and many believe the Feb. 8 elections will pave the way for further stability in the South Asian country. 

“We have no other power, the vote is my power,” Hashmat Ali, a 21-year-old employee of a security company in Peshawar, told Arab News last week. “I expect after the election the country’s situation would become normal and the inflation would be controlled.” 

Ali said he would vote for Khan’s Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party in the upcoming elections.  

Hassan Ali Butt, a 23-year-old student of journalism who lives in Quetta, said he would be voting for the first time in the upcoming elections and he preferred the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) over others. 

“This is my first time. I am hopeful of voting for the Pakistan Peoples Party because the party is being headed by young Bilawal Bhutto Zardari,” he said.  

A ballot holds significant power and it can put the country on the path of development as well push it into turmoil if not used wisely, according to Butt. 

“Indeed, with the power of vote, either we can push the country on a development track or push it into turmoil,” he told Arab News in Quetta. “But the power remains in the hands of the public who they want to elect and who they want to keep aside.” 

In the Pakistani capital of Islamabad, Shanza Khan, a 23-year-old dentist, said she would be polling her vote in favor of Khan-led PTI as its government supported the masses through various social welfare initiatives, including health cards. 

“During Imran Khan’s government, people were in a much better condition than right now. Like, for example, the health card used to work in all hospitals, including ours, and people were getting a lot of benefits from it,” she said.  

“Now that’s not available anymore. Or people are just confused about it because it doesn’t work in so many places. Also, the inflation has increased so much and the condition that our economy is in right now.” 

Shanza, however, did not expect the election to be fair. 

“I don’t think it’s fair at all,” she told Arab News. “They have been arresting people illegally, they have been abducting people, they are harassing people.”  

Khan’s PTI party has been at the receiving end of a crackdown by authorities since May last year, when its supporters staged violent demonstrations in the country over Khan’s brief detention in a graft case. The crackdown saw several senior figures defect, be arrested or driven underground. 

The ex-premier, who denies any wrongdoing and says the charges against him are “politically motivated,” has accused Pakistan’s powerful military, the caretaker government and his political rivals of colluding to keep him and his party away from elections. All three deny the allegation.  

Abubaker Saeed, a 22-year-old student in Islamabad, said he would be voting for three-time former prime minister Nawaz Sharif’s Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) party. 

“I personally feel that Nawaz Sharif can handle the country well,” Saeed opined. “He was in power three times before, so he has more experience and we have also seen that during his time the country was booming, the economy was very strong. So, I think he can handle this country better.” 

But Saeed too had doubts about the transparency of the elections. 

“Absolutely not, I don’t think that the electoral process is fair at all,” he said. “Even in the previous elections, we observed that the results were pre-decided and not fair at all.” 

In Pakistan’s largest city of Karachi, first-time voters said the nation needed to understand the significance of a ballot, which could change everything. 

“In my opinion, one vote can bring about a significant change,” Areeba Gul Muhammad Shahzad, a 19-year-old student, told Arab News. “If the nation understands its importance, a lot can happen. One vote can change everything.” 


Pakistan increases Reko Diq investment to $244 million as Barrick reviews project

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan increases Reko Diq investment to $244 million as Barrick reviews project

  • State-owned PPL injects $50.2 million more in special purpose vehicle formed to manage Islamabad’s 25 percent stake in copper-gold mine
  • Canadian operator Barrick Mining Corporation this month ordered project’s review following deadly separatist attacks in Balochistan province

KARACHI: The state-run Pakistan Petroleum Limited (PPL) has invested an additional Rs14 billion ($50.2 million) equity in the multi-billion-dollar Reko Diq copper-gold mine, the company said in its latest financial report on Thursday, as the project’s Canadian operator reviews the project following recently deadly attacks. 

Canada’s Barrick Mining Corporation owns a 50 percent share in Reko Diq in the southwestern Balochistan province, along with three Pakistani federal state-owned enterprises including PPL that own 25 percent, while the Balochistan government has the remaining 25 percent share in the project.

The Canadian company announced earlier this month it planned to “immediately” begin a comprehensive review of all aspects of the Reko Diq project following coordinated attacks in Balochistan on Jan. 30-31 that killed 36 civilians and 22 security forces personnel. 

“With respect to the Reko Diq project, the company has made further equity investment in Pakistan Minerals Private Limited (PMPL) during the period amounting to Rs14,025 million ($50.2m),” PPL told its shareholders in its financial statement for the half year ending at Dec. 31.

The additional equity has increased PPL’s total cost of investment in the PMPL to Rs68.1 billion ($243.6 million), it added. 

The PMPL is a special purpose vehicle formed to manage the federal government’s 25 percent stake in the Reko Diq project. It is a consortium of three state-owned enterprises (SOEs) namely the PPL, the Oil & Gas Development Company Limited (OGDCL) and Government Holdings (Private) Limited (GHPL) which is responsible for handling financing, equity contributions and strategic, legal or technical dealings with partners like Barrick.

“The project continued to advance site works during the period (July-December FY26),” the PPL said. “The operator (Barrick) is undertaking a review of all aspects of the project, including with respect to the project’s security arrangements, development timetable and capital budget.” 

This week, Balochistan Chief Minister Sarfraz Bugti assured investors that Pakistan has the “capacity and capability” to secure the Reko Diq project amid surging militancy. 

The PPL explores, drills, and produces oil and natural gas. Its current portfolio, together with its subsidiaries and associates, consists of 47 exploratory blocks that include one offshore Block-5 in Abu Dhabi and one onshore block in Yemen.

In December, PPL signed a strategic Deed of Assignment under which it assigned 25 percent of its participating interest (PI) and operatorship of Eastern Offshore Indus C block to Turkish Petroleum Overseas Company, a unit of state-owned Türkiye Petrolleri Anonim Ortaklığı.

Assigning 20 percent PI each to OGDCL and Mari Energies Limited, the company has retained the remaining 35 percent PI to play a key role in the block’s development.