Deadly Israeli raids leave Palestinians in West Bank camp reeling

Mawaheb Marei, mother of 15-year-old Eid who was killed during an Israeli army operation, stands next to Ghada Marei, mother of 27-year-old Leena Marei, who was killed in Gaza. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 24 December 2023
Follow

Deadly Israeli raids leave Palestinians in West Bank camp reeling

  • Israeli forces, settlers in the West Bank killed over 300 Palestinians since the Israel's war on Gaza erupted

JENIN: Palestinian Mawaheb Marei is mourning a double tragedy — her relatives suffering and dying in Gaza, and the killing of her teenage son, a victim of Israel’s frequent raids in the occupied West Bank.
“I wish I could wrap him in a coat,” Marei told AFP, like she had done every winter to keep her son, Eid, warm.
The 15-year-old was killed on October 25 in an Israeli raid on Jenin refugee camp where the family live in the northern West Bank, said the mother.
“Now, it doesn’t matter if I live or die in the raids.”
Marei said she had also lost six relatives in the ongoing war in the Gaza Strip.
The Israeli army carries out regular raids on the Jenin camp and adjacent city, often triggering gunbattles between troops and Palestinian militants.
The army says it is targeting “terrorists” in its raids, but the Palestinian health ministry says many civilians are among the dead.
When Marei heard that her son had been hit, she frantically searched local hospitals, and eventually found him intubated and dying from shrapnel wounds.
“So many innocent children have been killed,” she said.
The camp, a stronghold of Palestinian armed groups, was originally built to house Palestinians displaced during the Arab-Israeli war that coincided with Israel’s creation in 1948. It is now home to more than 23,000 people.
AFP correspondents in Jenin saw houses in the camp sprayed with bullets, and children’s clothes lying strewn in the wreckage.
Israeli forces and settlers in the West Bank have killed more than 300 Palestinians since the Israel-Hamas war erupted, Palestinian health officials say.
Standing in a bombed-out Jenin mosque strewn with shattered tiles, Hani Al-Damaj, an elderly Palestinian who lived next door, said he and his relatives were lucky to escape alive when it was hit.
An Israeli air strike tore through the Al-Ansar mosque in October, leaving the lower floors a skeleton. Staircases rise into the sky, leading nowhere.
The Palestinian health ministry said the strike had killed two men, while the Israeli army said it targeted and killed “terror operatives” who used the mosque’s basement as a command center.
In Damaj’s bedroom, within touching distance of the mosque, chunks of concrete ripped through the wall, showering the mattress with rubble.
Other camp residents told AFP that some people had been killed in their beds by stray bullets during Israeli operations.
In a multi-day raid earlier this month, Israeli forces killed 11 people and a sick 13-year-old boy died after he had been prevented from reaching hospital, Palestinian health authorities said.
Among the wounded was a 27-year-old woman shot in the chest, said the Palestinian Red Crescent Society.
The military said at the time that troops had seized dozens of weapons and dismantled multiple bomb-making laboratories.
Last month, the Israeli army killed 14 people in the deadliest single raid in the West Bank since 2005, the Palestinian health ministry said.
Israel has occupied the Palestinian territory since the Six-Day War of 1967.
Earlier this month footage showed Israeli soldiers inside another mosque in the camp reciting a Jewish prayer through the loudspeakers, in what the Palestinian presidency called a “shameful desecration.” The army said the soldiers had been taken off duty.
Soldiers were also accused of breaking into the nearby Freedom Theatre, where an AFP correspondent saw a trail of damage.
“What is this kind of behavior from a soldier?” said the theater’s artistic director Ahmed Tobasi.
“Our life, our future, our sleeping, our breathing — it’s in Israeli hands.”


Family of Palestinian-American shot dead by Israeli settler demand accountability

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Family of Palestinian-American shot dead by Israeli settler demand accountability

  • Relatives say Abu Siyam was among about 30 residents from the village of Mukhmas who confronted armed settlers attempting to steal goats from the community

LONDON: The family of a 19-year-old Palestinian-American man reportedly shot dead by an Israeli settler in the occupied West Bank have demanded accountability, amid mounting scrutiny over a surge in settler violence and a lack of prosecutions.

Nasrallah Abu Siyam, a US citizen born in Philadelphia, was killed near the city of Ramallah on Wednesday, becoming at least the sixth American citizen to die in incidents involving Israeli settlers or soldiers in the territory in the past two years.

Relatives say Abu Siyam was among about 30 residents from the village of Mukhmas who confronted armed settlers attempting to steal goats from the community. Witnesses said that stones were thrown by both sides before settlers opened fire, wounding at least three villagers.

Abu Siyam was struck and later died of his injuries.

Abdulhamid Siyam, the victim’s cousin, said the killing reflected a wider pattern of impunity.

“A young man of 19 shot and killed in cold blood, and no responsibility,” he told the BBC. “Impunity completely.”

The US State Department said that it was aware of the death of a US citizen and was “carefully monitoring the situation,” while the Trump administration said that it stood ready to provide consular assistance.

The Israeli embassy in Washington said the incident was under review and that an operational inquiry “must be completed as soon as possible.”

A spokesperson for the Israeli Defense Forces said troops were deployed to the scene and used “riot dispersal means to restore order,” adding that no IDF gunfire was reported.

The military confirmed that the incident remained under review and said that a continued presence would be maintained in the area to prevent further unrest.

Palestinians and human rights organizations say such reviews rarely lead to criminal accountability, arguing that Israeli authorities routinely fail to prosecute settlers accused of violence.

A US embassy spokesperson later said that Washington “condemns this violence,” as international concern continues to grow over conditions in the occupied West Bank.

Palestinians and human rights groups say Israeli authorities routinely fail to investigate or prosecute settlers accused of violence against civilians.

Those concerns were echoed this week by the UN, which warned that Israel’s actions in the occupied West Bank may amount to ethnic cleansing.

A UN human rights office report on Thursday said that Israeli settlement expansion, settler attacks and military operations have increasingly displaced Palestinian communities, with dozens of villages reportedly emptied since the start of the Gaza war.

The report also criticized Israeli military tactics in the northern West Bank, saying that they resembled warfare and led to mass displacement, while noting abuses by Palestinian security forces, including the use of unnecessary lethal force and the intimidation of critics.

Neither Israel’s foreign ministry nor the Palestinian Authority has commented on the findings.