Pakistan launches Hajj mobile app designed to act as ‘virtual mualim’

Minister for Religious Affairs, Aneeq Ahmed (center) and Minister of IT & Telecom, Umar Saif (left) at the launch of a new mobile application for Hajj pilgrims in Islamabad, Pakistan on December 20, 2023. (AN Photo)
Short Url
Updated 21 December 2023
Follow

Pakistan launches Hajj mobile app designed to act as ‘virtual mualim’

  • Hajj app is designed for both Android and iPhone users
  • Will be available for download few months before Hajj 2024

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan on Wednesday launched a new mobile application for Hajj pilgrims, which Federal IT Minister Dr. Umar Saif described as having been designed to act as a “virtual mualim” to facilitate Pakistanis at all stages of the spiritual journey.

Hajj will fall in June next year, with a quota of 179,210 pilgrims from Pakistan designated by Saudi Arabia. So far, the government has received around 60,000 applications from Pakistanis wanting to perform Hajj under a government scheme. 

Each year, the allotted quota is divided between a government scheme and private tour operators.

“A mobile app has been developed in record time to facilitate Hajj pilgrims under the Ministry of Information Technology and Telecommunications,” the IT ministry said in a statement announcing the launch of the app, developed jointly with the National Information Technology Board (NITB).

The app has been designed for both Android and iPhone users and will be available for the public to download a few months before Hajj starts.

Speaking to Arab News at the launch event, Saif said there were “so many little” moving parts to Hajj that one constantly needed a maulim, the Arabic word for teacher, for advice and guidance.

“In this day and age, we have replaced this human interface with an application ... designed to be a virtual mualim who is always with you,” the IT minister said.

“The app learns your behavior. It loads the schedule. It loads the events that take place. It loads the current location, the time and the day, and continuously advises you what to do next.”

He said the app would be able to provide guidance on everything from bus schedules and meals to flights and luggage.

“It is designed for low literacy users because a lot of people going for Hajj, of course, can’t be taught to use an application in English and Urdu,” Said explained. 

“So, the app is designed specifically such that it continues to advise you, whether you are able to use the app or not, prompts you, advises you, proactively so that we make it easy for you to go through the entire process in steps of performing a Hajj.”

Baber Majid Bhatti, CEO of the National Information Technology Board, told Arab News the app also had an offline maps feature to facilitate pilgrims.

“The reason for putting things offline is there is a big risk of pilgrims not being connected with the telephone network and we have suffered this in the past,” Bhatti said. “So to solve this problem we decided to have the maps offline.”

The application will enable pilgrims to view their Hajj application status with real time updates, as well as store all personal information from the application.

“Pilgrims can access information about their Hajj group, including group members’ details. The application enables pilgrims to view their Hajj training schedules, including dates, times, and locations.” the IT ministry statement said.

“The application displays flight details, including flight numbers, departure cities, dates, and times for both departure and return flights. Present information about Makkah and Madinah accommodations, including sector, building, and room details. Additionally, provide information about the Maktab (camp) location.”

The application will also allow pilgrims to check the status of their Hajj dues and refund statuses as well as to submit complaints, requests and general inquiries.

“The application is multilingual and allows pilgrims to switch to their preferred language for easy understanding and usage,” the ministry said. 

“At first two languages (English, Urdu) are added, although the system will have the provision to add more languages.”


Zimbabwe surprise as T20 World Cup Super Eights begin without Australia

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Zimbabwe surprise as T20 World Cup Super Eights begin without Australia

  • Pakistan and New Zealand will clash in Colombo on Saturday as the second “Super Eights” phase of the T20 World Cup kicks off
  • India carry hopes of millions of cricket-obsessed fans of winning back-to-back T20 World Cups and lifting the trophy on home soil

Kolkata: Pakistan and New Zealand will clash in Colombo on Saturday as the second “Super Eights” phase of the T20 World Cup kicks off without former champions Australia, who shockingly failed to make it out of their group.

Instead, surprise packages Zimbabwe, who did not even qualify in 2024, topped Group B after a stunning unbeaten campaign where they not only beat Australia but also co-hosts Sri Lanka.

An injury-depleted Australia endured a chaotic campaign and failed to make the second phase of the T20 World Cup for the first time since 2009.

Australia’s acerbic media did not hold back in their criticism, citing selection “stuff-ups” and “shambolic” preparations, including a 3-0 pre-tournament series loss in Pakistan, for the embarrassment.

Australia coach Andrew McDonald admitted his players were “devastated” but any inquest into the failure would only begin “when we exit the shores here.”

India, the world number one-ranked T20 side, are hot favorites to retain their crown on home soil.

However, in the second round they face a tough rematch of the 2024 final against an in-form South Africa in Ahmedabad at a packed 130,000-capacity Narendra Modi stadium on Sunday.

Both teams came through the first round phase with four wins from four.

India are on a 12-match unbeaten run at the T20 World Cup, stretching back to their defeat in the semifinal against eventual winners England in 2022.

No team has won back-to-back T20 World Cups or lifted the trophy on home soil, and India have the hopes of hundreds of million of cricket-obsessed fans on their shoulders.

But India have not been consistent and have a problem at the top of the order with their number one-ranked batter Abhishek Sharma recording three consecutive ducks.

Their batting has looked shaky and India were 77-6 against the United States before coming through to win.

Also in Super Eights Group 1 are Zimbabwe and the West Indies, who meet in Mumbai on Monday, with all that group’s games being hosted in India.

ENGLAND YET TO FIRE

The West Indies toppled England convincingly in the group phase and the two-time champions have all-round strength in depth.

They won the T20 World Cup the last time it was hosted in India, in 2016, and have started in clinical fashion, winning all four group games.

They will be extremely wary of Zimbabwe, whose colorful band of traveling supporters have had plenty to cheer so far. Even a washout against Ireland could not dampen their spirits.

In Sri Lanka, Group 2 pits the co-hosts against England, Pakistan and New Zealand.

The top two from each group will advance to the semifinals.

Pakistan were the last team to secure their berth. They did so by beating Namibia by 102 runs, with captain Salman Agha calling it a “complete performance” as they bounced back from a group defeat to bitter rivals India.

Another pre-tournament fancy, England stumbled through their group matches in Mumbai and Kolkata, losing to the only Test-playing side they faced, the West Indies.

Harry Brook’s side were unconvincing in wins against minnows Nepal, Scotland and finally Italy, who were making their World Cup debut.

But they return to a happy hunting ground in Kandy to face Sri Lanka on Sunday at a venue where England swept a T20 series 3-0 this month, with Sam Curran taking a hat-trick along the way.

Their top order needs to find form, with explosive openers Jos Buttler and Phil Salt yet to make a telling score and Brook failing to fire.

Sri Lanka have also been hot and cold.

Pathum Nissanka scored a superb century on Monday to all but end Australia’s tournament.

But they lost to Zimbabwe in their final group game, although Nissanka was in the runs again with 62.