Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan condemns Israel’s killing of journalists in Gaza

The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan has condemned the killing of journalists and their relatives in the Gaza Strip by Israel. (ANJ)
Short Url
Updated 12 December 2023
Follow

Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan condemns Israel’s killing of journalists in Gaza

TOKYO: The Freedom of the Press Committee of the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan has issued a statement condemning the killing of journalists and their relatives in the Gaza Strip by Israel.

The statement condemned “the reckless disregard for the lives of journalists in the ongoing Israel-Hamas war” and noted “with deep concern reports that in some cases the families of journalists appear to have been targeted by Israeli forces.”

The FCCJ referred to Al-Jazeera reports detailing the killing of 22 family members of Gazan correspondent Moamen Al-Sharafi when the Israeli military shelled the Jabalia Camp on December 6 in the northern Gaza Strip, a place where Al-Sharafi’s “father, mother, three siblings and his children had sought refuge.”

Al-Sharafi was on duty elsewhere in Gaza when the bombing occurred.

Also referenced was the killing on October 25 of the wife, daughter, and grandson of Wael Dahdouh, Al-Jazeera’s bureau chief for Gaza, after an Israel airstrike hit the Nuseirat refugee camp.

“.. In Gaza, 63 journalists and media workers (56 Palestinians, 4 Israelis, and 3 Lebanese) have been killed, with another 11 journalists injured and three missing, according to the Committee to Protect Journalists,” the FCCJ statement said.

The statement pointed out that the death toll of the past eight weeks had surpassed the combined number of 15 journalists killed in 2022 covering Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and the 30 journalists killed during the height of the Syrian war, regarded as two of the deadliest recent war zones.

It added a quote from Sherif Mansour, the Committee to Protect Journalists’ coordinator for the Middle East and North Africa: “The Israeli army has refused to take any responsibility for the killings, saying to the international media organizations that they cannot guarantee the safety of the media or their employees.”

In conclusion, the statement from the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan said: “The FCCJ urges all parties in the Israel-Hamas war to stop targeting journalists and to respect their work. We call for the Israeli authorities to thoroughly investigate all the incidents cited in this report.”


South Korea: Civilians sent drones to North Korea four times, harming ties

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

South Korea: Civilians sent drones to North Korea four times, harming ties

SEOUL: South Korea’s Unification Minister Chung Dong-young said on Wednesday that three civilians had sent drones to North Korea on four occasions since President Lee Jae Myung took office last year, harming inter-Korean ties.
The trio flew the aircraft between September 2025 and January, Chung said, citing an ongoing investigation by police and the military. Drones crashed on two occasions in North Korea, in line with claims ‌made by ‌Pyongyang, he said.
On two other attempts the ​drones ‌returned ⁠to Paju, ​a border ⁠settlement in South Korea, after flying over Kaesong, a city in North Korea, Chung said.
South Korean authorities were investigating the three civilians on suspicion of violating the aviation safety act and breaching criminal law by benefiting the enemy, he said.
Some officials at South Korea’s military intelligence agency and the National Intelligence Service were also under investigation for alleged involvement with the ⁠trio, he said.
“We express official regret to the ‌North,” Chung said, adding that the government ‌was taking the drone incursion incidents very seriously.
North ​Korea has reacted angrily, saying ‌last month that drones from South Korea entered its airspace, after ‌another intrusion in September.
Kim Yo Jong, the powerful sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, urged Seoul to investigate the incident, warning provocations could result in “terrible situations.”
Chung also expressed regret over South Korea sending 18 drones to North Korea under ‌the direction of ousted President Yoon Suk Yeol.
“It was an extremely dangerous incident aimed to induce an attack ⁠against South ⁠Korea by sending 18 drones on 11 occasions, to sensitive areas in North Korea including the airspace over the Workers’ Party office,” he said.
South Korean prosecutors have
indicted Yoon
, who was ousted in April 2025, on charges that include aiding an enemy state.
They accused him and his military commanders of ordering a covert drone operation into the North to raise tensions and justify his martial law decree.
Yoon denies wrongdoing.
South Korea’s government plans to strengthen penalties for sending drones to the North, Chung said, including up to a one-year jail term or a 10 million ​won ($6,928) fine.
A clause will ​also be added to South Korea’s inter-Korean relations development act to block actions that heighten tensions on the peninsula, he said.