Solace for Pakistan sports fans as Imam Ul Haq ties the knot amid World Cup disappointment

Pakistani cricketer Imam Ul Haq and his bride Anmol Mehmood during their wedding photoshoot. (Photo courtesy: @imamulhaqofficial/Instagram)
Short Url
Updated 25 November 2023
Follow

Solace for Pakistan sports fans as Imam Ul Haq ties the knot amid World Cup disappointment

  • Haq arranged exciting pre-wedding festivities that started in Norway and spanned several days
  • His valima reception on Sunday is expected to be attended by high-profile cricketers and celebrities

ISLAMABAD: Reeling from the men’s national cricket team’s early World Cup exit, Pakistani sports fans have found a reason to celebrate after left-hand opening batter Imam Ul Haq announced his marriage to Anmol Mehmood on Saturday and shared their dazzling photographs on social media.
Haq, the nephew of retired Pakistani international cricketer Inzamam Ul Haq, held a series of exciting pre-wedding festivities that started in Norway and spanned several days, involving his teammates and other celebrities.
The celebrations included a musical night in Lahore, where the couple, dressed in traditional attire, captured the spotlight.
Their images were also prominently featured by media outlets across the country.
Haq’s nikah ceremony took place earlier today, after which he shared pictures with his bride on social media.
“Today, we’ve not only become partners for life but have also solidified the bond of best friendship, which has always been the foundation of our love story,” he wrote on X. “Today, I not only married my best friend, but also found my forever home in your heart. Keep us in your prayers.”

Local media reports that Haq’s valima reception, set for tomorrow, Sunday, is expected to be attended by notable figures including former Pakistani skipper Babar Azam, leading batter Mohammad Rizwan and others.
Haq first made his mark in Pakistan’s ODI squad during the 2017 series against Sri Lanka, scoring a century in his debut match and earning the player of the match title.
However, his performance in the last World Cup in India didn’t meet expectations, with Pakistan finishing fifth in the 10-team tournament.


Two killed in suicide blast targeting security forces in Pakistan’s northwest

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Two killed in suicide blast targeting security forces in Pakistan’s northwest

  • Multiple people were injured in the attack in Bannu district of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province
  • It comes days after militants rammed explosive-laden vehicle into checkpost, killing 12 people

ISLAMABAD: Two security personnel, including an officer, were killed, while multiple others sustained injuries when a suicide blast targeted their vehicle in Pakistan’s northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) province, a police official said.

The suicide bomber hit his explosive-laden motorbike into an armored vehicle of security forces in Sara Darga area of KP’s Bannu district, according to a local police official who requested anonymity.

No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack, but the Pakistani Taliban, or the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), have carried out similar assaults in the region in past.

“The attack had damaged the armored vehicle, causing deaths and injuries,” he told Arab News, adding that they suspected the Pakistani Taliban to be behind the attack.

Pakistan has struggled to contain a surge in militancy in KP, which borders Afghanistan, in recent years, with militant groups, particularly the TTP, frequently targeting security forces, law enforcers and government officials in the region.

Earlier this week, Pakistani Taliban militants rammed an explosive-laden vehicle into a checkpost jointly manned by security forces and law enforcement agencies in KP’s Bajaur district, killing 11 security personnel among 12 people, the Pakistani military’s media wing said.

Islamabad accuses Afghanistan of allowing the use of its soil and India of backing militant groups for cross-border attacks against Pakistan. Kabul and New Delhi deny this.