Pakistan says Makkah Route Initiative to be expanded to Karachi this year

Saudi official facilitates Pakistani Hajj pilgrim during biometrics at the immigration counter at the Islamabad International Airport on May 29, 2023. (Photo courtesy: Twitter/MakkahRoute)
Short Url
Updated 21 November 2023
Follow

Pakistan says Makkah Route Initiative to be expanded to Karachi this year

  • The initiative allows pilgrims to undergo immigration requirements to enter Saudi Arabia at airports in Pakistan
  • Minister Aneeq Ahmed calls it the government’s responsibility to make adequate arrangements for Hajj pilgrimage

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s interim religious affairs minister Aneeq Ahmed said on Monday the government wanted to provide maximum facilities to Hajj pilgrims, adding that the Makkah Route Initiative, which was previously confined to Islamabad, would also be extended to the southern Karachi port city in the coming year.

This initiative allows pilgrims performing Hajj under the government scheme the convenience of undergoing all immigration requirements to enter Saudi Arabia from their home countries’ airports.

Ahmed made the announcement while addressing the inaugural ceremony of the bankers’ training for the Hajj portal for next year’s pilgrimage.

The government announced the Hajj Policy 2024 on Thursday and plans to start receiving applications from aspiring pilgrims from Nov. 27 to Dec. 12.

“The Road to Makkah program, a facility offered by the Saudi government to Hujaj [pilgrims], was earlier limited to Islamabad only but this year it will be extended to Karachi airport as well,” the Associated Press of Pakistan (APP) news agency quoted the minister as saying on the occasion.

He also informed the participants that the government aimed to expand the facility to other major airports across Pakistan, further facilitating pilgrims from all regions.

Ahmed stated it was the government’s responsibility to make adequate arrangements for Hajj, adding that its cost had been reduced to PKR 1,075,000 next year from PKR 1,175,000 in 2023.

He informed attendees that the government was negotiating with airlines to reduce airfare. “In the event of a reduction in air ticket prices, the corresponding amount would be transferred into the accounts of Hujaj-e-Karam,” he added.

The government will also introduce a smartphone app for pilgrims that would assist them from the moment they file the Hajj applications until their return to the country. Additionally, Pakistan has managed to secure tent space in the Old Mina area and will provide a commuting facility through a dedicated fleet of buses.

The ministry will provide QR code-marked suitcases along with other Hajj articles, including headscarves adorned with the country’s flag, to be distributed to female pilgrims.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.