Pakistani military says nine attackers killed after assault on airbase

1 / 2
In this file photo, taken on December 22, 2014, a Pakistani soldier stands guard at a checkpost near the Kot Lakhpat Jail on the outskirts of Lahore. (AFP/File)
2 / 2
This satellite image from Planet Labs PBC shows damage, center right, after a militant attack targeted the Mianwali Training Air Base in Pakistan, on November 4, 2023. (Planet Labs LBC via AP)
Short Url
Updated 06 November 2023
Follow

Pakistani military says nine attackers killed after assault on airbase

  • Pakistan military says ‘no damage’ has been done to any operational assets at the base
  • It came a day after three separate attacks killed 21 Pakistanis, including 15 security men

ISLAMABAD: Pakistani security forces on Saturday killed nine militants who stormed a training airbase in the eastern Pakistani district of Mianwali, said the military, adding “no damage” had been done to any functional operational assets at the airfield.
The training base of the Pakistan Air Force came under attack in the wee hours of Saturday, according to the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), the military’s media wing.
It said a timely response resulted in the killing of three attackers while entering the base, whereas six others were killed in a combing and clearance operation.
“The successful operation was launched by security forces to eliminate any potential threat in the surrounding area, following the cowardly and failed terrorist attack on the base this morning,” the ISPR said.
“No damage has been done to any of the PAF’s functional operational assets, while only some damage was done to three already phased out non-operational aircraft during the attack.”
The assault came a day after three separate attacks killed 21 people, including 15 security personnel, in Pakistan’s Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Balochistan provinces that border Afghanistan.
The South Asian country has been witnessing an uptick in militant attacks, particularly after the Pakistan Taliban called off their fragile truce with the government in November 2022, with a majority of these incidents targeting the two provinces along the Afghan border.
Caretaker Prime Minister Anwaar-ul-Haq Kakar condemned the attack in a social media post.
“The valiant Pakistan Air Force has once again proven its mettle by thwarting a cowardly terrorist attack in Mianwali,” he said. “Any attempt to undermine our security will meet with unwavering resistance.”
“The nation stands with you [the security forces] and we salute your courage and resolve,” he added.

Pakistani officials have repeatedly asserted that militants targeting their country operate from the neighboring Afghanistan, urging the Taliban government in Kabul to prevent their territory from being used as a staging ground for such attacks.
Pakistan last month asked all illegal immigrants, mostly Afghan nationals, to leave the country by November 1, saying they were involved in attacks, smuggling and other offenses.
The expulsion order followed suicide bombings in Pakistan this year that the government said involved Afghan nationals, though it did not provide any evidence.
The South Asian country has since set up tens of holding centers to speed up the repatriation process as authorities continue to arrest illegal immigrants in nationwide sweeps.


Pakistan killed over 80 militants in strikes on TTP camps in Afghanistan — official

Updated 29 min 55 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan killed over 80 militants in strikes on TTP camps in Afghanistan — official

  • Saturday’s airstrikes followed a series of attacks inside Pakistan amid a surge in militancy
  • The Afghan Taliban authorities accuse Pakistani forces of killing civilians in the airstrikes

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s airstrikes in Afghanistan destroyed seven Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) camps and killed over 80 militants, a Pakistani security official said on Sunday, with the Afghan Taliban accusing Pakistani forces of killing civilians in the assault.

Saturday’s airstrikes followed a series of attacks inside Pakistan amid a surge in militancy. Authorities say the attacks, particularly in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province and the Pakistani capital of Islamabad, were carried out by the TTP and allied groups that Islamabad alleges are operating from sanctuaries in Afghanistan. Kabul denies this.

According to Pakistan’s information ministry, recent incidents included a suicide bombing at a Shiite mosque in Islamabad, separate attacks in Bajaur and Bannu, and another recent incident in Bannu during the holy month of Ramadan, which started earlier this week. The government said it had “conclusive evidence” linking the attacks to militants directed by leadership based in Afghanistan.

“Last night, Pakistan’s intelligence-based air strikes destroyed seven centers of Fitna Al-Khawarij TTP in three provinces of Nangarhar, Paktika and Khost, in which more than eighty Khawarij (TTP militants) have been confirmed killed, while more are expected,” a Pakistani security official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told Arab News.

An earlier statement from Pakistan’s information ministry said the targets included a camp of a Daesh regional affiliate, the Islamic State Khorasan Province (ISKP), which claimed a suicide bombing at an Islamabad Shiite mosque that killed 32 people this month.

In an X post, Afghan government spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid said Pakistani forces had violated Afghan territory.

“Pakistani special military circles have once again trespassed into Afghan territory,” Mujahid said. “Last night, they bombed our civilian compatriots in Nangarhar and Paktika provinces, martyring and wounding dozens of people, including women and children.”
 
The Afghan Taliban’s claims of civilian casualties could not be independently verified. Pakistan did not immediately comment on the allegation that civilians had been killed in the strikes.

In a post on X, Afghanistan’s foreign ministry said it had summoned Pakistan’s charge d’affaires to Afghanistan Ubaid-ur-Rehman Nizamani and lodged protest through a formal démarche in response to the Pakistani military strikes.

“IEA-MoFA (The Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs) vehemently condemns the violation of Afghanistan’s airspace and the targeting of civilians, describing it as a flagrant breach of Afghanistan’s territorial integrity & a provocative action,” it said in a statement.

“The Pakistani side was also categorically informed that safeguarding Afghanistan’s territorial integrity is the religious responsibility of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan; henceforth, the responsibility for any adverse consequences of such actions will rest with the opposing side.”

Tensions between Islamabad and Kabul have escalated since the Afghan Taliban returned to power in 2021. Pakistan says cross-border militant attacks have increased since then and has accused the Taliban of failing to honor commitments under the 2020 Doha Agreement to prevent Afghan soil from being used for attacks against other countries. The Taliban deny allowing such activity and have previously rejected similar accusations.

Saturday’s exchange of accusations marks one of the most direct confrontations between the two neighbors in recent months and risks further straining already fragile ties along the volatile border.