Rare public joy sweeps Kabul after World Cup win over Pakistan

Afghanistan's players greet their fans at the end of the 2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup one-day international (ODI) match between Pakistan and Afghanistan at the MA Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai on October 23, 2023. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 24 October 2023
Follow

Rare public joy sweeps Kabul after World Cup win over Pakistan

  • Hundreds of fans swarmed the streets of the capital late Monday, joining a morass of honking car traffic
  • Ecstatic passengers hung off car doors as pedestrians danced and played music despite an effective ban

KABUL: Fireworks and celebratory gunfire raked Kabul’s skies as Afghans celebrated their stunning eight-wicket cricket World Cup defeat of Pakistan, a rare burst of public jubilation since the Taliban takeover.

Hundreds of fans swarmed the streets of the capital late Monday, joining a morass of honking car traffic which wardens struggled to tame.

Ecstatic passengers hung off car doors as pedestrians danced and played music despite an effective ban on song and dance dictated by the Taliban government.

“Afghanistan has been through so much recently, such moments are always special and must be celebrated properly,” said Kabul resident Sharifullah, who goes by one name.

“It feels like we have won the World Cup,” the 25-year-old told AFP. “Sport always brings unity among the people. Today we are celebrating the victory as a nation.”

A superb batting and bowling display saw Afghanistan record their highest chase in ODI cricket, with a successful pursuit of a 283-run target set by Pakistan.

It was their first ever victory over Pakistan in eight ODIs, and came just a week after their shock victory over defending champions England.

Afghans have been glued to screens of all sizes in recent days — from mobile phones, to restaurant TVs and a small number of big screens broadcasting in public parks.

Afghanistan and Pakistan have had fractious relations since the Taliban returned to power in August 2021, with Islamabad claiming Kabul is failing to rein in militants plotting strikes on its soil.

Authorities recently pledged to evict 1.7 million undocumented Afghan migrants who have crossed into the country over the past several decades during successive conflicts.

Opening batsmen Ibrahim Zadran, with 87, was awarded player of the match and dedicated the win to “people who are sent from Pakistan back home to Afghanistan.”

Although records show cricket being played in Afghanistan more than a century ago, most of the country’s top players learned the game in refugee camps in Pakistan.

“We had never witnessed such an amazing performance,” said 23-year-old Taliban government employee Noor Ahmad.

“Tonight Afghanistan’s people are enjoying it, and Pakistan’s people are crying.

“We want to celebrate all night. We are going to live and enjoy the moment till morning,” he said.

Afghanistan’s win was hailed by the Taliban government, which has enforced an austere imagining of Islam squeezing women out of public life and effectively barring their participation in sport.

“We congratulate the national cricket team, cricket board, and all Afghans on this victory,” said Maulawi Abdul Kabir, political deputy of the prime minister’s office.

“This competition showed that Afghan youths are capable in any field and can win. We wish them more success.”

Many members of the Afghan women’s cricket team fled the nation as the Taliban swept back to power.

This month players who settled in Australia told AFP they had been threatened for taking part in activities which brought “dishonor” to their faith, country or families.

There is still debate over whether Afghanistan should lose its International Cricket Council membership for cutting women out of the game, a move which would effectively ban their men from playing international matches.

But for 30-year-old Hamidullah, Monday night’s win offered an uncomplicated moment of joy.

“We thank our national team from the bottom of our heart for this victory,” he said. “We waited forever to win against Pakistan, and finally, today was the day.”


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”