NEW DELHI: Netherlands fast bowler Paul van Meekeren has been part of two shock World Cup victories but just three years ago was making ends meet delivering food for Uber Eats.
Van Meekeren and his Dutch teammates stunned the World Cup on Tuesday with a 38-run victory over South Africa in the Himalayan hill town of Dharamsala.
In November last year, Van Meekeren was also part of the side which shocked the Proteas in the Twenty20 World Cup.
“I am a professional cricketer now for seven years,” the 30-year-old, who has played for Somerset, Durham and Gloucestershire in the English county championship, told AFP on Thursday.
However, when Covid brought sport to a standstill in 2020 it meant the Twenty20 global showpiece scheduled for that year was also shelved.
“I just ran out of contract and had to earn money to pay the bills,” he said.
“I took the job with Uber Eats because I could then rule my own work times and be available when a cricket opportunity would come.”
He added: “The story was really big when it went viral and keeps coming back. That’s okay with me, but it is not as romantic as it sounds. I am fine with being the fast bowling delivery guy.”
Van Meekeren was just one of the players in the Dutch team who had to hold down day jobs.
Indian-born Teja Nidamanuru worked as a business development manager before his international debut in 2022.
But the bunch of spirited Dutch players, who have come from different parts of the globe, including some from South Africa, are a united force.
Their win over South Africa was the second big upset of this tournament after Afghanistan shocked defending champions England, but Van Meekeren insists the win was coming.
“The victory was good, but for us it was no surprise,” said Van Meekeren.
“We train hard and prepare well. It was the result of that. We celebrated of course and were happy, but next day it was travel, and start focussing and preparing for the game against Sri Lanka on Saturday.”
There were phone calls and messages after Tuesday’s famous win from back home, but Van Meekeren said “they also know what we are here for and that is more than one win. We don’t get carried away by this.”
The Dutch have been an associate member of the International Cricket Council since 1966.
They only made it to this World Cup by coming through the qualifiers where they defeated two-time champions West Indies.
But Van Meekeren, who took up cricket in Haarlem where his father played football for Koninklijke HFC, doesn’t feel his team are second class citizens.
“It doesn’t hurt (being called minnows) but we don’t feel minnows,” said Van Meekeren.
Their win over South Africa was their first against a Test-playing nation at a 50-over World Cup and just their third in total.
“We know where we are and where we come from. Of course it would be good to have more games. I hope that all the countries who came through the last years do realize that growth of the international scene enriches the cricket world,” he said.
Captained by Scott Edwards, who hit an unbeaten 78 against South Africa, the men in orange have grown by leaps and bounds and Van Meekeren credits coach Ryan Cook for making the unit more professional.
“Well we have a good amount of professionals players with a contract in England or elsewhere. And the guys in The Netherlands are in a good program these days,” said Van Meekeren.
“Besides from their club cricket they train nearly on a daily basis with our staff. Since Ryan Cook arrived coaches come to the players for one-on-one sessions instead of all going to one place all the time.”
From Uber Eats to World Cup feast for ‘fast bowling delivery guy’ Van Meekeren
https://arab.news/9m9m6
From Uber Eats to World Cup feast for ‘fast bowling delivery guy’ Van Meekeren
- Van Meekeren was just one of the players in the Dutch team who had to hold down day jobs
- Nidamanuru worked as a business development manager before 2022 international debut
Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi
- Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
- Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month
ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.
The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.
Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.
Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.
“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.
Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.
“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.
The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.
Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.
The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.
Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.
“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”
Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.










