Zayed Al-Katheeri to represent UAE at inaugural Abu Dhabi Extreme Championship

Emirati jiu-jitsu star Zayed Al-Katheeri will take part in the inaugural Abu Dhabi Extreme Championship this month. (UAEJJF)
Short Url
Updated 14 October 2023
Follow

Zayed Al-Katheeri to represent UAE at inaugural Abu Dhabi Extreme Championship

  • The Emirati champion is targeting a new milestone in combat sports and grappling in first tournament on Oct. 20

ABU DHABI: The first Abu Dhabi Extreme Championship — ADXC 1 — a new event in the world of combat sports, will officially start in the UAE capital on Oct. 20.

The competition will see a range of elite jiu-jitsu, grappling and MMA stars from around the world competing at the Mubadala Arena, including the Emirati champion, Zayed Al-Katheeri.

Al-Katheeri has made a name for himself in jiu-jitsu with impressive accomplishments at local and international championships.

The crowning moment of his career was in November last year at the Abu Dhabi World Professional Jiu-Jitsu Championship when he scooped gold in the 56 kg black belt category by defeating Brazilian Nathaniel Fernandez.

With this victory, he became the first Emirati to attain this distinction since the event’s inception in 2009, putting an end to Brazilian dominance in the professional black belt category.

“Our jiu-jitsu achievements affirm the unwavering support of our wise leadership for athletes and the tireless efforts of the UAE Jiu-Jitsu Federation to foster a culture of excellence, victory and determination among players,” Al-Katheeri said. “They’ve provided us with all the necessary resources to compete at the highest levels.”

With only a few days left until the event, Al-Katheeri is fully focused on his preparations.

“I am honored to represent the UAE in this tournament. I am well aware of the high expectations placed upon me as I am the sole Emirati competitor. I am committed to giving my best to secure a victory that Emiratis worldwide can take pride in. I invite all Emiratis to attend the matches and cheer me on, as their presence means the world to me and boosts my morale during the bouts.” 

Al-Katheeri’s experience and particular skills in jiu-jitsu make him confident in his ability to excel at ADXC1.

“I’ve been in a six-week training camp to prepare for the competition, focusing on cage training to simulate the fights I will participate in. After the tournament, I will resume my mat training in preparation for the Abu Dhabi World Professional Jiu-Jitsu Championship,” he said. “I believe that my experience, skills and ongoing jiu-jitsu training are more than sufficient for this competition, as these events primarily emphasize grappling, which is my forte.”

Al-Katheeri made a name for himself by defeating several international jiu-jitsu champions in the black belt category, and he now anticipates new challenges.

“I earned my black belt in jiu-jitsu just over a year ago and have triumphed over all my opponents in the same weight category,” he said. “I look forward to facing the Portuguese champion, Talison Suarez, as he’s the only formidable opponent I have yet to meet. This encounter is highly anticipated, and I’m aware of the excitement surrounding this fight.”

The 23-year-old is considered one of the successful prodigies of the jiu-jitsu program, recognized by the International Federation of Jiu-Jitsu for his role in promoting and developing the sport in the UAE. This program, initiated by Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al-Nahyan, president of the UAE, has served as the foundation for identifying, nurturing and creating champions from the UAE.


FIFA and Board of Peace to support Gaza reconstruction through football

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

FIFA and Board of Peace to support Gaza reconstruction through football

  • The Board of Peace, established under the US President Donald Trump, held its first meeting focused on Gaza’s reconstruction fund, aimed at rebuilding the territory once Hamas disarms

FIFA and the ‌Board of Peace signed a partnership agreement on Thursday to attract investment from global leaders and ​institutions for sustainable development in conflict-affected regions through football.
The Board of Peace, established under the US President Donald Trump, held its first meeting focused on Gaza’s reconstruction fund, aimed at rebuilding the territory once Hamas disarms.
The disarmament of ‌Hamas militants ‌and accompanying withdrawal of ​Israeli ‌troops, ⁠the ​size of ⁠the reconstruction fund and the flow of humanitarian aid to the war-torn population are expected to pose significant challenges to the board’s effectiveness in the coming months.
The FIFA collaboration plan includes building 50 mini-pitches ⁠near schools and residential areas ‌in Gaza, five ‌full-size pitches across multiple districts, ​a state-of-the-art FIFA ‌academy and a new 20,000-seat national ‌stadium, FIFA said.
Trump said FIFA will raise $75 million for football-related projects in Gaza.
“Today, FIFA and the Board of Peace have signed a landmark ‌partnership agreement that will foster investment into football for the purpose ⁠of ⁠helping the recovery process in post conflict areas,” FIFA President Gianni Infantino said in a statement.
“Together with the support of the Board of Peace, FIFA will drive this partnership which is built to deliver impact at every stage.”
The program will also emphasize job creation, youth participation, organized leagues for boys and girls, ​community engagement and ​the stimulation of local commercial activities, FIFA said.