Biden to attend next month's G-20 summit in New Delhi, while Harris will head to Jakarta for ASEAN

The White House announced on Aug. 22, 2023, that President Joe Biden will attend next month’s Group of 20 summit in New Delhi, India. (AP/File)
Short Url
Updated 22 August 2023
Follow

Biden to attend next month's G-20 summit in New Delhi, while Harris will head to Jakarta for ASEAN

  • The White House has not said which leaders the president will hold individual meetings with
  • The leaders' summit is scheduled to take place Sept. 9 -10

WASHINGTON: The White House announced Tuesday that President Joe Biden will attend next month's Group of 20 summit in New Delhi, India.
White House national security adviser Jake Sullivan said that meetings—and Biden's talks with leaders on the sidelines of the summit—will focus on climate change, Russia's war in Ukraine and more.
The White House has not said which leaders the president will hold individual meetings with but China's President Xi Jinping and Saudi Arabia's crown prince Mohammed bin Salman, are among officials from leading global economies who have been invited to attend the leaders' meeting
“He’ll discuss a range of joint efforts to tackle global issues from the clean energy transition and combating climate change to mitigating the economic and social impacts of Russia’s war in Ukraine to increasing the capacity of multilateral development banks, including the World Bank, to better fight poverty and take on the significant transnational challenges that are afflicting countries across the world,” Sullivan said.
The leaders' summit is scheduled to take place Sept. 9 -10.
Sullivan said Vice President Kamala Harris will travel to Jakarta from Sept. 4 to 7 to take part in the US-ASEAN (the Association of Southeast Asian Nations) summit and East Asia Summit to engage with Indo-Pacific leaders.


South Africa police arrest Mugabe’s son after gardener shot

Updated 9 sec ago
Follow

South Africa police arrest Mugabe’s son after gardener shot

  • A police spokeswoman declined to identify the suspects
  • Several South African media outlets reported that one of them was Bellarmine Chatunga Mugabe

JOHANNESBURG: The youngest son of former Zimbabwean ruler Robert Mugabe has been arrested after a gardener was shot at his South Africa home on Thursday, media reported.
Police said they had detained two men on charges of attempted murder after the shooting in a wealthy suburb north of Johannesburg.
A police spokeswoman declined to identify the suspects but several South African media outlets reported that one of them was Bellarmine Chatunga Mugabe.
Photographs on the IOL News X feed showed pictures of Mugabe, 29, in handcuffs and being escorted by police.
He is the youngest son of Robert Mugabe, the late Zimbabwe president who was ousted in a 2017 military takeover after 37 years in power.
The gardener was in a critical condition, police said.
“The motive of the shooting is unknown at this stage and police investigations are underway,” Col. Dimakatso Nevhuhulwi said.
The former president’s two sons with Grace Mugabe, Robert Jr and Bellarmine, sometimes live in Johannesburg where they have a reputation for partying.
In 2019, Grace was accused of attacking an employee at the family home in Zimbabwe with a shoe in 2017.
Nicknamed “Gucci Grace” for her lavish lifestyle, she was also accused of assaulting a model with a power cable in Johannesburg the same year.
Robert Jr, 33, appeared in a Harare court in October last year charged with possession of cannabis, which he denies.