Army concludes operation after saving all citizens on chairlift above deep Pakistan valley

In this photo released by Inter Services Public Relations, army soldiers, police officers and local volunteers take part in a rescue operation to save people, trapped in a broken cable car, in Pashto village, a mountainous area of Battagram district in Pakistan's Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, on August 22, 2023. (Photo courtesy: ISPR)
Short Url
Updated 22 August 2023
Follow

Army concludes operation after saving all citizens on chairlift above deep Pakistan valley

  • Chairlift stuck at altitude of around 900 feet after cable broke in Battagram district in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province
  • Caretaker PM, interior minister praise Pakistan’s armed forces for efforts to rescue all eight stranded citizens 

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Army successfully rescued all eight stranded persons on a chairlift suspended hundreds of feet in the air on Tuesday in northwestern Pakistan, putting an end to a rescue operation that spanned several hours due to darkness and weather conditions. 

According to the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), a local transportation chairlift was stuck at an altitude of around 900 feet when its cable broke in Battagram district in the northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) province.

The office of the Battagram Deputy Commissioner told Arab News the incident took place at 8:00 am on as six students and two local residents were using the chairlift to cross the valley to get to school. The chairlift is operated privately by locals to facilitate transportation across the river due to the absence of roads or bridges in the remote northern region.

Pakistan Army commandos conducted a rescue operation that spanned over 10 hours to rescue the stranded citizens aboard the chairlift. Caretaker Prime Minister Anwaar-ul-Haq Kakar appreciated the armed forces, rescue officials, and district administration for the successful rescue operation.

“Relieved to know that Alhamdolillah all the kids have been successfully and safely rescued,” Kakar wrote on the social media platform X. 

Interior Minister Senator Sarfaraz Bugti confirmed the operation had concluded successfully.

“All appreciation for our valiant armed forces personnel, administration & locals for their selflessness and determination in carrying out this complex operation,” Bugti wrote on the X platform. 

The Pakistan Army had earlier rescued two children from the stranded chairlift via a helicopter operation. However, the army was forced to adopt an alternative measure from the ground due to darkness and weather conditions. 

A dolly was placed on the same wire to bring it closer to the affected chairlift, Rescue 1122 Spokesperson Bilal Faizi told Arab News. He added that the dolly was used to provide food to the stranded persons and rescue them from the chairlift, which had lost weight already after two children were earlier rescued from it. 

“Pakistan Army has brought local cable crossing experts from northern areas for this operation, whose services are also being utilized,” he added. 

Caretaker Prime Minister Anwaar-ul-Haq Kakar had directed NDMA, PDMA, and other rescue agencies to mobilize all resources for the rescue mission. He also called for setting up “stringent safety measures” on all chairlifts in mountainous regions and ordered the closure of units that did not meet safety requirements.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”