Pakistan ‘cipher case’ takes new turn as US outlet publishes document for first time

Pakistan's former prime minister Imran Khan holding what he says is a cipher which is a proof of a "foreign conspiracy" to oust him, during a political rally in Islamabad on March 30, 2022. (Photo courtesy: social media)
Short Url
Updated 10 August 2023
Follow

Pakistan ‘cipher case’ takes new turn as US outlet publishes document for first time

  • Alleged document reveals State Department pressured Islamabad in March 2020 to remove Imran Khan as PM
  • Former interior minister Rana Sanaullah calls for investigation to establish authenticity of the ‘source document’

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s former interior minister Rana Sanaullah, part of the outgoing cabinet of Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif which was dissolved on Wednesday, has called for an investigation after a US news outlet published what it said was a classified Pakistani government document revealing that the US State Department pressured Islamabad in a March 2022 meeting to remove Imran Khan as prime minister.

Ex-PM Khan has since last year, in what has come to be known as the ‘cipher case,’ said there was diplomatic correspondence between Washington and Islamabad that proved a US conspiracy to topple his government. Washington has denied being involved.

The Intercept, an online American nonprofit news organization, on Thursday, published the text of the so-called Pakistani cable for the first time, saying it was produced by Islamabad’s ambassador to Washington after a meeting between him and two State Department officials.

One month after the meeting with US officials documented in the leaked document, a no-confidence vote was held in parliament, leading to Khan’s removal from power.

“Investigation needs to be held to establish the authenticity of the information or source document. Potentially, it is a very sinister, treacherous, and seditious act,” Rana Sanaullah, the outgoing interior minister and a senior leader in Sharif’s PMLN party, said on Twitter.

Sanaullah said Khan had a copy of the classified document, which he had not returned and had accepted he had misplaced.

“If proven guilty, Khan should be tried under the Official Secret Act,” the ex-minister said.

https://twitter.com/RanaSanaullahPK/status/1689354888004907008?s=20

Last month, on the recommendation of the Sharif cabinet, the Federal Investigation Agency had formed a joint investigation team against Khan for “prejudicing” national security and the interests of the state by exposing official secrets. The decision to probe Khan in the ‘cipher case’ was taken after the ex-premier’s former principal secretary Azam Khan reportedly recorded a court statement saying the letter was manipulated by Khan in March 2022 to serve his political goals.

Meanwhile, Khan’s Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party, in a statement issued Thursday, called out the Sharif cabinet for “denying the cipher’s existence” and demanded the debate around it should be put in the “right perspective” by acknowledging that Khan was removed from power through foreign intervention via a no-confidence vote.

“We reiterate our demand that a high-powered judicial commission should be constituted to investigate the issue comprehensively and make its findings public,” the PTI said.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.