US endorses Pakistani PM’s call for talks with India, says has always supported ‘direct dialogue’

Indian Border Security Force (BSF) soldiers and Pakistani Rangers (in black) take part in the daily beating Retreat ceremony at the India Pakistan Wagah border post, some 35 Km from Amritsar on February 17, 2023. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 03 August 2023
Follow

US endorses Pakistani PM’s call for talks with India, says has always supported ‘direct dialogue’

  • The PM said earlier this week war was no longer an option between the two nuclear-armed states, sought ‘serious’ talks
  • Islamabad downgraded its diplomatic relations with New Delhi after India revoked Kashmir’s special constitutional status

ISLAMABAD: The United States said on Wednesday it was in favor of direct dialogue between Pakistan and India after Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif informed earlier this week that his country was willing to talk to its “neighbor.”

Addressing a mineral development conference in Islamabad on Tuesday, Sharif pointed out that war was not an option between the two nuclear-armed states, adding that Pakistan was ready to talk if its next-door neighbor was also serious about it.

Pakistan and India have fought several wars since securing independence from British rule in 1947.

Islamabad downgraded its diplomatic relations with India in August 2019 after New Delhi revoked the special constitutional status of the disputed Himalayan region of Kashmir, which is also claimed by Pakistan, to integrate it with the rest of the country.

“We support direct dialogue between India and Pakistan on issues of concern,” the US State Department spokesperson, Matthew Miller, said during a media briefing. “That has long been our position.”

Washington has played a vital role in defusing political and diplomatic crises between the two South Asian neighbors in the past.

While Pakistan has frequently sought American mediation to resolve outstanding issues with India, New Delhi has insisted on dealing with all problems within a bilateral framework for decades.

The Pakistani prime minister said in his speech the wars between the two South Asian countries had only led to greater poverty in the region while seeking “economic competition” with India, instead, for the betterment of people.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.