Pakistani diplomats establish contact with detained nationals in Libya, aim for prompt repatriation

Pakistani policemen stand guard outside the Pakistan's Foreign Ministry building in Islamabad, Pakistan on September 2, 2019. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 22 July 2023
Follow

Pakistani diplomats establish contact with detained nationals in Libya, aim for prompt repatriation

  • Local media reported in recent weeks that a large number of Pakistani nationals were languishing in Libyan prisons
  • The foreign office says food and basic necessities have been provided to all the detainees of Pakistani origin

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s foreign office said on Saturday its diplomatic mission in Tripoli got in touch with its nationals currently detained in Libyan jails and was making efforts for their prompt repatriation.

Local news networks in the country were abuzz with reports in recent weeks of a significant number of Pakistanis languishing in Libyan prisons while attempting to illegally reach European shores.

Driven by their pursuit of a better future, numerous individuals belonging to different countries have lost their lives while attempting perilous sea crossings on rickety boats from Libya and other places to reach European states in recent years.

“At the instructions of the Foreign Minister, our Charge d’affaires in Tripoli, Mr. Ashiq Ali, visited the detention center in Benghazi and met with detainees of Pakistani origin,” the foreign office spokesperson, Mumtaz Zahra Baloch, said in response to media queries. “Food and basic necessities have been provided to them. Our Mission is in contact with the United Nations medical team for routine medical check-ups and provision of medicines to the detainees.”

“The Mission also remains contact with IOM [International Organization for Migration] for their early repatriation,” she added.

Estimates suggest at least 350 Pakistanis were among over 700 illegal migrants on a fishing vessel heading from Libya to Italy which sank off the coast of Greece on June 14.

Only 104 people survived the tragedy, prompting around 200 families in Pakistan to provide DNA samples to their country’s embassy in Greece to help identify the bodies of their loved ones among those recovered from the sea and kept in morgues.

The government subsequently launched a campaign against human traffickers who promise to send people to European countries.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”