Pakistan’s Washington embassy hosts mango festival, aims to boost export of fruit to US

Visitors explore Pakistani mangoes showcased at the Mango Festival held at Pakistan's Embassy in Washington DC, United States, on July 20, 2023. (Photo courtesy: @FarehaBugti/Twitter)
Short Url
Updated 21 July 2023
Follow

Pakistan’s Washington embassy hosts mango festival, aims to boost export of fruit to US

  • Pakistan has regularly practiced ‘mango diplomacy’ to build positive relations and create opportunities for cooperation
  • A leading US congressman hopes the two sides would strengthen their partnership further through trade and investment

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s diplomatic mission in Washington said on Friday it held a mango festival to introduce different varieties of the exquisite fruit to its guests in the United States.

One of the world’s leading mango producers, the South Asian country is known for the delicious and high-quality varieties of the fruit.

Pakistan has also regularly practiced “mango diplomacy” by sharing the “king of fruits” with other countries, aiming to build positive relationships, strengthening existing ties, and creating opportunities for further cooperation in various fields.

“Amb @Masood_Khan hosted a Pakistani Mango Festival Reception today,” the embassy announced in a Twitter post, “where guests were treated over some premium varieties of the King of Fruits & exquisite [Pakistani] mango delicacies like lassi, desserts, pickles & chutney.”

 

According to the state-owned Associated Press of Pakistan (APP) news agency, the event was attended by over 200 distinguished guests, including Chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee Michael McCaul, who thanked the Pakistani envoy for the invitation.

Speaking at the occasion, the US congressman said his country had important security arrangements with Pakistan, though the two sides could strengthen their partnership further by enhancing trade and economic investment.

Ambassador Khan said the US had been asked to arrange a pre-inspection facility at the Karachi Port to enable Pakistani mango exports to various American cities in larger quantities.

He added the embassy had launched the process and hoped the US authorities would expedite it further.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.