Anghami, Saudi Music Commission launch program to support aspiring musicians

The workshops will take place in Riyadh from Aug. 27 to Sept. 28, with the graduation ceremony scheduled for Oct. 7. (Anghami/File)
Short Url
Updated 19 July 2023
Follow

Anghami, Saudi Music Commission launch program to support aspiring musicians

  • Moja program offers aspiring Saudi musicians training, resources needed to kickstart their career

LONDON: Music streaming platform Anghami and the Saudi Music Commission have opened a new program to help aspiring musicians launch their careers on the global stage.

The Moja program, under the slogan #هذا_وقتك “This is Your Time,” will provide 100 young musicians with the training and resources they need to kickstart their careers in the music industry.

Paul Pacifico, CEO of the Saudi Music Commission, said the initiative will have a significant impact on the local music industry and aims to “redefine the Saudi music scene globally” as it places the Kingdom at the forefront of “musical innovation and creative experimentation.”

He said: “Through this program, we not only promote the growth of new musical talents, but also enable them to display their unique art to the world.”

Moja will cover a wide range of topics, including songwriting, production, marketing, and business.

Participants will be offered a deep dive into the music-making process, from the art of songwriting to the science of mixing, and will also have the opportunity to work with some of the biggest names in the Saudi music industry.

Under the supervision of experienced producers, sound engineers, singers, and composers, these workshops will cultivate technical expertise and refine artistic skills.

Ahmed Al-Rasheed, Anghami’s managing director in Saudi Arabia, said that the Moja program is a reflection of the company’s commitment to supporting the Saudi music industry, adding that the initiative demonstrates “our commitment to fostering a vibrant music ecosystem in the Kingdom and empowering the next generation of musical pioneers.”

The Moja program is open to Saudi residents aged 16 and older, and applications are open until Aug. 30, 2023.

The workshops will take place in Riyadh from Aug. 27 to Sept. 28, with the graduation ceremony scheduled for Oct. 7.


Tucker Carlson claims he was detained at Israeli airport

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Tucker Carlson claims he was detained at Israeli airport

DUBAI: Earlier this week, Tucker Carlson flew to Israel to interview US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, according to media reports.

Carlson, who reportedly refused to leave Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion Airport complex, conducted the interview at the airport, after which he said he and his staff were detained and their passports were seized.

“Men who identified themselves as airport security took our passports, hauled our executive producer into a side room and then demanded to know what we spoke to Ambassador Huckabee about,” Carlson said in a statement to The New York Post.

However, Carlson’s claims have been contradicted by Huckabee and Israeli authorities.

Huckabee, a former Arkansas governor and Fox News host, said on social media platform X that “EVERYONE who comes in/out of Israel (every country for that matter) has passports checked & routinely asked security questions,” including himself, despite holding a diplomatic passport and visa.

The US Embassy in Israel also described the interaction as routine passport control procedures.

The Israel Airports Authority said in a statement that Carlson and his staff “were not detained, delayed, or interrogated.”

They were asked “a few routine questions, in accordance with standard procedures applied to many travelers,” and this conversation took place in a separate room within the VIP lounge to protect their privacy, the statement added.

“No unusual incident occurred, and the Israel Airports Authority firmly rejects any other claims.”

Carlson has faced criticism in recent years over his commentary on Israel, with critics accusing him of amplifying narratives that are hostile to Israel and, at times, antisemitic. He has also questioned Israel’s treatment of Christian communities in the region.

After Fox News canceled his show in April 2023, he launched his own program, “The Tucker Carlson Show” in 2024.

The show has featured controversial figures, including Darryl Cooper, who has made statements widely condemned as Holocaust denial, and white nationalist commentator Nick Fuentes.

In his interview with Fuentes, Carlson labeled Huckabee a “Christian Zionist.”

Carlson has also criticized Huckabee for not doing enough to protect Christian interests in the region. In one video, he said: “Why not go ahead and talk to Christians and find out their side of the story? Why aren’t American Christian leaders like Mike Huckabee or Ted Cruz, people who invoke the Christian Bible to justify what they’re doing, why haven’t they done this?”

Huckabee responded to the video on X, writing: “Instead of talking ABOUT me, why don’t you come talk TO me?  You seem to be generating a lot of heat about the Middle East. Why be afraid of the light?”

Carlson accepted the invitation, and their teams coordinated the interview, leading to his brief visit to Israel.