Nine soldiers, five militants killed in attack on army garrison in southwestern Pakistan

This representational file photo shows Pakistani paramilitary soldiers cordoning off the site of an attack by gunmen on soldiers in Quetta, Balochistan, on June 29, 2016. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 12 July 2023
Follow

Nine soldiers, five militants killed in attack on army garrison in southwestern Pakistan

  • Attack claimed by new terror group, Tehrik-e Jihad Pakistan, which announced itself in February this year
  • Pakistan Army says clearance operation completed, five soldiers critically wounded succumb to injuries

QUETTA: The Pakistan army said on Wednesday nine soldiers and five militants had been killed in a gunbattle during an attack on a garrison in the southwestern Balochistan province.

A new terrorist group, the Tehrik-e Jihad Pakistan (TJP), which announced itself in February this year, claimed responsibility for the attack in a statement shared with media. In the past, attacks on security forces and other targets in Balochistan have been carried out largely by the Baloch Liberation Army and other separatist groups that call for complete independence for the arid mountainous province that is Pakistan's largest by territory but smallest by population and most backward in terms of almost all social and development indicators.

In an earlier statement, the army said a group of militants launched an attack on Zhob Garrison in northern Balochistan early morning, during which three militants and four soldiers were killed. Zhob's deputy commissioner told Arab News that five militants attacked the garrison. 

"Clearance operation underway at Zhob Cantt has been completed. In total 5 terrorists have been sent to hell during the operation," the army's media wing said. "However, five soldiers who while fighting gallantly got critically injured earlier succumbed to injuries and embraced shahadat (martyrdom) taking the figure to a total of 9 x shaheeds (martyrs)."

Balochistan borders Afghanistan to the north, Iran to the west and has a long coastline on the Arabian Sea. It has Pakistan's largest natural gas field and is believed to have many more undiscovered reserves.

It is also rich in precious metals including gold, the production of which has grown over recent years.

Most separatist groups in Balochistan operate independently, but some recent reports in local media have pointed to increasing cooperation between them.
 


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.