STOCKHOLM: A Turkish citizen appeared in a Swedish court on Tuesday accused of “attempted terrorist financing” of the pro-Kurdish PKK, a first in the Scandinavian country seeking Ankara’s approval to join NATO.
Turkiye has accused Sweden of being a haven for “terrorists,” especially members of the PKK, and has asked Stockholm to extradite dozens of people.
The accused, in his 40s, was arrested in January after making threats and firing a gun outside a restaurant in Stockholm.
Prosecutors say the man’s aim was to extort money and use it to finance the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), which is classified as a terrorist organization by Turkiye, as well as Sweden, the EU and Washington.
“It is possible that (my client) has had contacts with people linked to the PKK, but he himself has no ties” to the movement, the man’s lawyer Ilhan Aydin told the court on Tuesday.
“My client rejects the accusations of aggravated extortion and attempting to fund (the PKK), but would accept a weapons charge,” Aydin told AFP on the eve of the trial.
The prosecutor meanwhile argued that the man played a key role in PKK activities in Sweden.
According to the charge sheet, which also references evidence from French and German intelligence, the man had been in contact with people directly involved in funding the PKK and had acted on the group’s behalf.
Sweden tightened its anti-terrorism legislation in July last year, making it easier to prosecute financing activities for terrorist organizations.
This is the first time that the new law, already used in cases linked to the Islamic State organization, has been used against an alleged PKK supporter.
Ending two centuries of neutrality and military non-alignment, Sweden and neighboring Finland announced bids to join NATO in May last year after Russia invaded Ukraine.
Turkiye and Hungary are the only NATO member states yet to ratify the Sweden’s bid — which requires unanimous approval.
Turk on trial in Sweden accused of ‘terrorist funding’
https://arab.news/5nu6x
Turk on trial in Sweden accused of ‘terrorist funding’
- 40-year-old was arrested after making threats and firing a gun outside a restaurant in Stockholm
Jordanian king and British MPs in London discuss Middle Eastern developments
- King Abdullah is scheduled to meet UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer and is due to chair a new round of the Aqaba Process initiative
- He warned that Israel’s illegal actions in the occupied West Bank undermine efforts to restore calm
LONDON: King Abdullah II of Jordan met in London on Monday with former British officials and members of Parliament to discuss the latest developments in the region.
King Abdullah warned that Israel’s illegal actions in the occupied West Bank, which aim to consolidate settlements and impose sovereignty over Palestinian land, undermine efforts to restore calm and threaten to escalate the conflict, according to the Petra news agency.
Discussions also addressed the UK’s role in supporting efforts to restore stability within the region, alongside developments in Jerusalem, Gaza, Syria, and Iran.
Crown Prince Hussein accompanies the Jordanian king, who is scheduled to meet UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer and is due to chair a new round of the Aqaba Process initiative, launched in 2015, Petra added.










