Teenager among five Palestinians killed as Israelis use helicopter gunships in West Bank
Military fires on Jenin refugee camp during dawn incursion
Updated 19 June 2023
Mohammed Najib
RAMALLAH: Five Palestinians, including a 15-year-old, were killed as Israeli forces used helicopter gunships in a raid in the occupied West Bank on Monday.
The Palestinian Health Ministry identified those killed in Jenin as Khaled Asasa, 21, Qassam Abu Sariya, 29, Qais Jabarin, 21, Ahmed Daraghmeh,19, and 15-year-old Ahmed Yousef Saqer.
The assault also wounded 66 Palestinians, 10 of them seriously, during the incursion into the outskirts of the Jenin camp at dawn, according to the Health Ministry.
Media reported that five Apache helicopters were used in the attack, the first such use of gunships in the occupied West Bank since the second Palestinian uprising two decades ago.
Reports said that 250 Israeli military vehicles took part in the incursion, as well as transport helicopters used to ferry soldiers and drones for surveillance and reconnaissance.
Jordan condemned the Israeli escalation and called for an immediate halt of the continuous assault on Palestinian cities.
A general strike spread throughout the city of Jenin and its camp to protest at Israeli aggression.
High school students could not reach their final exams due to the heavy presence of the army forces on the outskirts of Jenin camp and on the streets of the city.
The Fatah movement also announced a comprehensive strike in Ramallah to mourn those killed, and called on citizens to protest at Israeli military checkpoints.
The Palestinian Red Crescent said the Israeli army prevented Palestinian ambulances from rescuing the wounded and opened fire at them.
The Israeli military claimed that seven soldiers were injured when a 40kg bomb exploded under one of its armored vehicles. Reports in Israel said that gunships were called in when military transport helicopters came under fire.
The Izz al-Din al-Qassam Brigades, the military wing of Hamas operatives in the Jenin refugee camp, claimed it carried out the bombing.
Israeli security sources claim that 20 armed cells operate in the northern West Bank, Jenin, Nablus and Tulkarem.
Israeli officials have also spoken of a plan to invade the cities of Nablus and Jenin for several days to eliminate the suspected armed groups.
Walid Masharqa, a resident of the Jenin camp, told Arab News that he had witnessed “a very bloody day”.
Israeli forces used a bulldozer to destroy an electricity transformer and cut power to the Jenin camp. The blackout prevented Palestinian fighters from communicating and coordinating movements against Israeli forces.
Life was “paralyzed and disrupted,” he said, adding that students could not get to school and adults got not get to work, leading to an atmosphere of “sadness, anger, and frustration.”
“This invasion, destruction, and use of excessive force without justification reminded us of the Jenin camp invasion in 2002,” he said.
Mansour Al-Saadi, deputy governor of Jenin, told Arab News that life had stopped in Jenin.
“Only the sound of Israeli drones hovering in the air and the sound of ambulances transporting the wounded to the city's three hospitals are heard,” he told Arab News.
“The people fear that the Israeli army forces will shoot them as they leave the city and the camp,” he added.
Mohammed Kamil, general manager of the Jenin Chamber of Commerce, told Arab News that the city's economy had been stunted by repeated military incursions, as Palestinians living in Israel stopped visiting to take advantage of cheaper goods.
“When it comes to their lives and their safety, Palestinians from the Galilee and the Triangle inside Israel prefer to preserve their lives by not coming to Jenin to shop for clothes or have a meal in a restaurant,” Kamil told Arab News.
There are around 18,000 people in the camp. The city has a population of 50,000.
DUBAI: Gaza’s fishing industry — once a critical source of food, income and affordable protein — has been largely destroyed as a result of Israel’s war with Hamas, worsening the Palestinian enclave’s food security crisis.
According to the UN Food and Agriculture Organization, fishing activity in Gaza now stands at less than 10 percent of prewar levels following the widespread destruction of boats, ports and equipment, combined with prolonged maritime closures enforced under Israel’s naval blockade.
UN and human rights organizations estimate that up to 72 percent of Gaza’s fishing fleet has been damaged or destroyed, alongside near-total devastation of related infrastructure, including landing sites, storage facilities and repair workshops.
The remaining vessels are small, damaged skiffs capable of operating only meters from shore.
Fishermen paddle on makeshift boats with destroyed buildings seen in the background in Gaza City's main fishing harbor on September 7, 2024, amid the ongoing war between Israel and the Palestinian militant group Hamas. (AFP/file photo)
Ramzy Baroud, a journalist, author and editor of The Palestine Chronicle, said the destruction of Gaza’s fishing sector must be understood as part of a deliberate policy aimed at preventing Palestinians from developing independent food-producing systems.
Baroud says Israel had pursued a strategy since 1967 to foster Palestinian dependency — first on the Israeli economy, and later on humanitarian aid entering Gaza through Israeli-controlled crossings — leaving the population permanently vulnerable to economic collapse.
“This vulnerability is functional for Israel, as it allows the Israeli government and military to leverage their control over Palestinian lives through political pressure in pursuit of concessions,” he told Arab News.
Palestinians gather near crates of fish for sale during a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, at the seaport of Gaza City, November 12, 2025. (REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa)
Palestinians were prevented from developing local industry through restrictions on imports and exports, while much of Gaza’s arable land was seized or turned into military targets, he said.
“Likewise, the fishing sector was deliberately crippled through direct attacks on fishermen, including arrests, live fire, confiscation of equipment, and the sinking or destruction of boats,” he added.
FAO has documented widespread destruction across Gaza’s coastal fishing areas.
“In Gaza’s fishing areas now lie broken boats, torn nets, and ruined infrastructure, standing in stark contrast to the once-vibrant industry that supported thousands of fishers for generations,” Beth Bechdol, FAO deputy director-general, said in a statement.
Palestinians fish during a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, at the seaport of Gaza City, November 19, 2025. (REUTERS)
Before the war, more than 4,000 registered fishermen worked along Gaza’s 40-kilometer coastline, supporting tens of thousands of family members and contributing to local food security in an enclave heavily dependent on imports.
Today, the majority have been stripped of their livelihoods, as access to the sea has become sporadic, dangerous, or entirely prohibited.
For decades, fishing off Gaza was restricted to shifting maritime zones — typically between three and 12 nautical miles offshore — often tightened or closed entirely during periods of escalation.
Infographic courtesy of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UN-OCHA).
Since October 2023, when the Israel-Hamas conflict began, humanitarian organizations say there have been extended periods of total maritime closure, effectively banning fishing and depriving Gaza’s population of one of its few remaining sources of local food production.
Baroud said the assault on Gaza’s fishing sector was not a by-product of war, but part of a deliberate strategy that intensified during the conflict.
“For Gaza, the sea represents freedom,” he said. “All of Gaza’s other borders are controlled by Israel, either directly or indirectly.”
Israel had consistently worked to deny Palestinians access to the sea, he said. And despite commitments under the Oslo Accords to allow fishing up to 20 nautical miles offshore, those provisions were never honored.
Palestinians fish during a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, at the seaport of Gaza City, November 12, 2025. (REUTERS)
“The assault on Gaza’s fishing sector is therefore not incidental,” Baroud said. “It is about severing Palestinians from one of the few spaces not entirely enclosed by walls, checkpoints, and military control.”
Israel has generally rejected or not accepted accusations that it is unlawfully targeting Gaza’s fishermen, framing incidents at sea as enforcement of security zones or as under investigation rather than deliberate attacks on civilians.
In past lethal incidents at sea highlighted by Human Rights Watch, the Israel Defense Forces have typically said boats “deviated from the designated fishing zone” and that forces fired after warnings were ignored.
Israel's naval blockade has Gaza's fishing industry to decline to about a tenth of pre-war levels. (Reuters photo)
According to FAO, rebuilding Gaza’s fishing sector will be impossible without a fundamental change in access and security conditions.
“For Gazans, the sea was not just a source of food, but a source of livelihood and identity,” Bechdol said.
“FAO can assist to help rebuild Gaza’s fishing industry. But for this to happen, peace must first be established and fishers must be allowed to operate their boats and cast their nets without fear of harm.”
Ciro Fiorillo, head of the FAO office for the West Bank and Gaza, said the agency is primed to offer assistance once the security situation improves.
“FAO is ready to restart projects, replenish damaged boats and equipment, and inject emergency funds as soon as these key fishing inputs for production are allowed to enter the Strip, a sustained ceasefire is in place, and access to the sea is restored,” Fiorillo said in a statement.
Since the Oct. 7, 2023, Hamas-led attack on southern Israel triggered the Israeli military assault on Gaza, much of the enclave has been flattened, tens of thousands killed, and some 90 percent of the population displaced.
Infographic from the IPC Global Initiative's latest "Special Snapshot" on the famine conditions in Gaza. The continuing analysis is being done jointly by UN agencies and NGOs.
Even since the ceasefire came into effect with the exchange of hostages and prisoners in October last year, pockets of violence have continued and humanitarian needs remain dire. The collapse of fishing has only compounded an already catastrophic food crisis.
The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs has repeatedly warned that the destruction of food-producing systems — including agriculture, fisheries and markets — has pushed Gaza toward famine, with households facing extreme shortages of protein and calories.
With farmland destroyed, livestock killed and imports severely restricted, fish was once among the few foods that could still be sourced locally.
Its near disappearance has driven prices beyond reach for most families and increased dependence on limited humanitarian aid.
“This is about denying Palestinians access to life itself — to survival,” said Baroud.
An Israeli soldier stands on a naval ship as it sails on the Mediterranean Sea, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, near Israel's border with Gaza in southern Israel. (REUTERS/file photo)
The destruction of fishing forces Palestinians into deeper dependence on humanitarian aid that Israel itself controls, effectively weaponizing food rather than allowing Palestinians to sustain themselves independently, he said.
Human rights groups documenting maritime enforcement report that fishermen attempting to operate — even close to the shore — face gunfire, pursuit, detention and arrest, contributing to a climate in which fishing has become a life-threatening activity rather than a livelihood.
According to rights monitors, the destruction of larger vessels has eliminated the possibility of reaching deeper waters, forcing the few remaining fishermen to operate in unsafe, shallow zones with damaged equipment, limited fuel and no protection.
Baroud said international law clearly obligates an occupying power to protect civilian livelihoods and ensure access to food and means of survival.
“The systematic targeting of fishermen — who are civilians engaged in subsistence activity — cannot be justified as a military necessity, especially when it results in starvation and famine,” Baroud said.
Palestinians fish during a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, at the seaport of Gaza City, November 12, 2025. (REUTERS)
He said the Fourth Geneva Convention prohibits collective punishment, the destruction of civilian infrastructure and the targeting of livelihoods.
The Palestinian Centre for Human Rights has described the restriction of Gaza’s fishing sector as part of a broader assault on civilian survival systems, warning that the denial of access to the sea has direct implications for nutrition, employment and aid dependency.
Baroud said the recovery of Gaza’s fishing sector could not occur in isolation from the broader economy.
“Only a measure of real freedom for Palestinians — freedom of movement, access to land and sea, and the ability to import, export and produce independently — can allow Gaza’s industries and economy to recover,” he said.
Palestinians sell fish during a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, at the seaport of Gaza City, November 12, 2025. (REUTERS)
Without ending the system of control governing Palestinian life, Baroud said, any discussion of reconstruction or recovery would remain hollow.
As famine warnings intensify, the fishing sector’s collapse stands as a stark example of how Gaza’s food system has fractured.
What was once a daily livelihood is now reduced to occasional, high-risk attempts to secure food.
With no functioning fleet and no safe access to waters, Gaza’s fishermen are operating at the edge of survival.