Journalists in Pakistan should be allowed to do their work — US State Department 

The still image taken from a video of a press briefing by the State Department shows the US State Department spokesperson Matthew Miller speaking to journalists on June 15, 2023. (Photo courtesy: U.S. Department of State/Youtube)
Short Url
Updated 16 June 2023
Follow

Journalists in Pakistan should be allowed to do their work — US State Department 

  • Development comes amid arrests of politicians, journalists and activists since violent protests over Khan’s May 9 arrest 
  • A number of pro-Khan journalists have recently been taken into custody and later freed, while at least one remains missing 

ISLAMABAD: Journalists working in Pakistan should be allowed to do their work, the US State Departments said on Thursday, amid arbitrary arrests of journalist seen favoring former prime minister Imran Khan. 

Police officers this month took away a Pakistani journalist, Zubair Anjum, from his home in the southern port city of Karachi, with journalist organizations labeling the incident as “abduction.” Anjum, who works as a senior news producer for Pakistan’s Geo News channel, returned home a day later. 

Last month, Sami Abraham, a prominent Pakistani television journalist, went missing apparently because of his public support to Khan. Abraham returned home days later on May 30. Another pro-Khan TV journalist, Imran Riaz, went missing last month and has yet to be found. 

Asked about the state of press freedom and the arrest of pro-Khan journalists in Pakistan, a US State Department spokesman said they believed that the press performed a “critical function” in democratic societies. 

“We expect that journalists covering the events in Pakistan should all be allowed to do their work,” US State Department spokesperson Matthew Miller told a news briefing in Washington. 

“A free and independent press is a vital, core institution that undergirds healthy democracies by ensuring that electorates can make informed decisions and holding government officials accountable.” 

Khan, who was ousted in a no-trust vote last year, has since been at loggerheads with the Pakistani government and the military, and continues to struggle for snap nationwide elections. 

His brief arrest in a graft case on May 9 sparked violent protests across Pakistan, with some of his supporters setting fire to military installations, public property and clashing with the law enforcement. 

The unprecedented protests prompted the government to launch a crackdown on members of Khan’s party, many of whom have since jumped ship, and his supporters among the masses. 

The former premier accuses the government and the powerful military of trying to keep him out of the election race, but the government maintains only those who partook in violence and vandalism are being dealt with under the law. 


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.