First batch of 630 pilgrims from Indian-administered Kashmir leaves for Hajj

Kashmiri Muslim pilgrims wave from a bus as they depart for Saudi Arabia to perform the annual hajj pilgrimage, in Srinagar on June 7, 2022. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 07 June 2023
Follow

First batch of 630 pilgrims from Indian-administered Kashmir leaves for Hajj

  • Out of India’s Hajj quota of 1,75,025 pilgrims, 12,000 departing from Kashmir region
  • This year’s contingent is the region’s largest-ever embarking on the spiritual journey

NEW DELHI: The first batch of 630 pilgrims from Indian-administered Kashmir performing Hajj this year left for Saudi Arabia on Wednesday from Srinagar airport, an official from the region’s Hajj authority said.

Out of India’s annual Hajj quota of 1,75,025 pilgrims, 12,000 will be departing from the Himalayan region, nearly double Kashmir’s Hajj contingent last year and the region’s largest-ever group embarking on the spiritual journey that is one of the five pillars of Islam.

Special Hajj flights from India started in the last week of May.

“We have the highest quota this year,” Safina Baig, chairperson of the Jammu and Kashmir Haj Committee, told Arab News after 630 pilgrims departed for Jeddah from Kashmir’s main airport in Srinagar.

“It was an emotional scene with many feeling overwhelmed by the opportunity to perform Hajj in their lifetime.”

Most pilgrims were selected through a draw, except for the elderly and women traveling without a mahram, or male guardian.

“Generally, the selection process happens through draw but as a special gesture we are allowing single women and people above 70 to apply directly without going through the process of draw,” Baig said.

Special arrangements had been made by the Indian government for women traveling without a mahram, she said, including separate accommodation and women helpers.

“By Allah’s grace, I got the opportunity to travel alone to perform Hajj,” said Shamima Akhter, 56, a widow from the southern Pulwama district of Kashmir, who is among 120 Kashmiri women pilgrims traveling to Saudi Arabia alone.

“This is a good decision to allow single women to travel.”

Akhter’s three daughters helped her raise about $5,000 to pay for her Hajj package, which is around $1,000 more expensive for Kashmir compared with other regions of India.

Baig said she had raised the issue of the higher cost with the Ministry of Minority Affairs and the Haj Committee of India.

“What I understand is that the rise in the total expenses is due to higher prices of air fare from Kashmir,” she said. 

“Kashmir is a Muslim majority region, and the government should be more considerate … I feel that the government should provide some relief to the Kashmiri Hajis. It sends a good message.”


UK condemns 10-year sentence for British couple in Iran

Updated 11 sec ago
Follow

UK condemns 10-year sentence for British couple in Iran

  • Craig and Lindsay Foreman had been charged ‌with espionage after ‌Iran accused ​them ‌of ⁠gathering ​information in ⁠several parts of the country
LONDON: ‌British foreign minister Yvette Cooper on Thursday condemned as “totally unjustifiable” the 10-year ​sentence given to two British nationals detained in Iran, saying the government would continue pressing for their release.
Craig and Lindsay Foreman had been charged ‌with espionage after ‌Iran accused ​them ‌of ⁠gathering ​information in ⁠several parts of the country.
“We will pursue this case relentlessly with the Iranian government until we see Craig and Lindsay Foreman ⁠safely returned to the UK ‌and ‌reunited with their ​family,” Cooper ‌said in a statement.
Joe Bennett, ‌Lindsay’s son, said in a separate statement the couple had appeared at a three-hour trial ‌on October 27 of last year in which they ⁠were ⁠not allowed to present a defense.
“We have seen no evidence to support the charge of espionage,” he said, adding that the family was deeply concerned about the couple’s welfare and the lack ​of ​transparency in the judicial process.