Japan’s automakers have a made-in-China sales crisis

1 / 3
Osamu Furukawa stands next to his new BYD ATTO 3 electric car in Yokohama, south of Tokyo, on April 25, 2023. (AP)
2 / 3
A BYD dealership is seen on April 4, 2023, in Yokohama near Tokyo. BYD Auto is part of a wave of Chinese electric car exporters that are starting to compete with Western and Japanese brands in their home markets. (AP)
3 / 3
Ohta, who just bought a brand new BYD ATTO 3 electric sports utility vehicle, poses with his car and a symbolically-made key at a BYD dealership on April 4, 2023, in Yokohama near Tokyo. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 05 May 2023
Follow

Japan’s automakers have a made-in-China sales crisis

  • World’s largest auto market upended by rapid shift to electric vehicles
  • Sale of gasoline-powered cars plunge as EVs become more affordable

TOKYO : Japan’s automakers are facing a sales crisis in China, data shows, as a rapid shift to electric vehicles (EVs) has upended the world’s largest auto market and led to a plunge in purchases of gasoline-powered cars.

Total sales of Japanese auto brands in China were down 32 percent year-on-year in the first quarter, more than double the pace of the overall market contraction, industry data analyzed by Reuters showed.
While other automakers like Volkswagen AG have also been caught out by the sharp shift in China, Japanese automakers stand out because of their limited showing in the fast-growing category of electric and plug-in hybrid sales.
Production and margins will come under pressure in China as automakers cut output and prices of gasoline-powered cars to keep inventories in check, analysts say, in a worrying sign of the competition Japanese automakers could increasingly face outside their home market.
“Especially Japanese automakers face a little bit more inventory of new cars,” in China, Yasushi Matsui, chief financial officer at parts supplier Denso Corp, said last week. “They are making adjustments.”
Mitsubishi Motors Corp, said last week it had suspended production of its Outlander SUV in China for three months and would take a charge of $77 million for slowing sales at its joint venture with state-owned GAC Group.
Mitsubishi, like some other Japanese automakers, does not break out China sales figures. Industry data analyzed by Reuters showed its first-quarter sales in China fell by 58 percent from a year earlier.
In another shift, Nissan’s Sylphy, a sedan that had been China’s top-selling vehicle for three years, was edged out last year by the BYD Song, a plug-in hybrid made by BYD, China’s top automaker.
In emailed comments, Nissan said it had sold over 5 million Sylphys in China over the years, adding that an electric-drive hybrid version was eligible for incentives in Guangzhou.
The company said it was working with other cities on similar support. The e-Power electric-drive hybrid version of the sedan would be central to Nissan’s brand transformation in China, it said.

’Japan is the biggest loser’
Toyota Motor Corp. has said its go-slow approach to all-electric cars protects consumer choice, but the strategy is costing sales in China, analysts say.
“Japan is the biggest loser of the price war so far,” said Bill Russo, founder and CEO of Automobility, a Shanghai-based consultancy.
“As EVs get more affordable, they become more attractive to the core buyers who have been resisting so far, the buyers of foreign brands. So, you can see the writing is on the wall.”
Japan’s share of car sales in China slumped to 18.5 percent in the first quarter, down from 24 percent in 2020, industry data from the China Association of Automobile Manufacturers analyzed by Reuters showed.
Toyota and its luxury brand Lexus posted a 14.5 percent drop in first-quarter sales, company data showed.
“We need to increase our speed and efforts to firmly meet the customer expectations in the Chinese market,” Toyota CEO Koji Sato said in an interview last month.
Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. posted a 45.8 percent drop in China sales and Mazda Motor Corp. sales were down 66.5 percent in the first quarter. Honda Motor Co. Ltd. had a 38.2 percent drop, industry data showed.
Honda Chief Executive Toshihiro Mibe acknowledged the automaker lagged Chinese rivals in some software technologies.
China’s automakers are “further ahead of us than we expected,” Mibe told reporters at a presentation in Tokyo focused on Honda’s efforts in autonomous driving and services like gaming.
Japanese automakers built their reputation on factors like durability, but the shift in China shows the draw of lower-priced electric cars and new offerings based on software, said Masatoshi Nishimoto, principal research analyst at S&P Global Mobility in Tokyo.
“Japanese automakers could face a similar struggle in the United States as in China,” he said.


Qatar issues 28k commercial registrations in 2025, up 57%

Updated 15 sec ago
Follow

Qatar issues 28k commercial registrations in 2025, up 57%

JEDDAH: Qatar reported the issuance of nearly 28,000 commercial registrations in 2025, marking a 57 percent annual increase, according to official data.

The announcement came during the Ministry of Commerce and Industry’s fourth quarterly performance review for 2025, according to Qatar News Agency, or QNA.

The meeting was chaired by Sheikh Faisal bin Thani bin Faisal Al-Thani, minister of commerce and industry, and attended by Minister for Foreign Trade Ahmed bin Mohammed Al-Sayed, Undersecretary of the MoCI Mohammed bin Hassan Al-Malki, as well as assistant undersecretaries and department directors.

The growth in commercial registrations aligns with Qatar National Vision 2030, the country’s long-term development framework aimed at transforming the economy into a diversified, competitive, knowledge-based system that reduces dependence on hydrocarbons and expands private sector participation.

The trade sector has exhibited notable progress. The ministry issued 28,000 commercial registrations in 2025, alongside 34,500 business licenses, up 53 percent from 2024.

Additionally, 16 auditors were registered, and eight accounting firms and offices were licensed during the year.

The ministry’s Single-Window business service portal continued to expand its services, introducing 26 new initiatives in 2025. A total of 239,593 transactions were processed through the platform, 93 percent of which were completed electronically, reflecting the efficiency of digital transformation efforts, QNA reported.

“Customer satisfaction with electronic services reached 95 percent in the fourth quarter,” the agency added.

In attracting foreign investment, 12,449 non-Qatari companies were established in 2025, representing a 600 percent increase compared to 2024, highlighting the attractiveness of Qatar’s investment environment and investor confidence.

Intellectual property protection also improved. In 2025, 255 patents were granted, a 6 percent increase from the previous year, while trademark registrations reached 9,218, up 23 percent, and 258 copyright registrations were granted, an 89 percent increase on 2024.

In the industry and business development sector, manufacturing contributed approximately 14.2 billion Qatari riyals ($3.9 billion) to gross domestic product in the third quarter of 2025. The sector expanded with 39 new factories registered during the year, and the readiness of 100 factories was assessed under the Smart Industry Readiness Index.

Investments in new factories in the fourth quarter totaled 758 million riyals, while cumulative industrial sector investment reached 270 billion riyals.

To improve the business environment and support the private sector, QNA added that 10 public-private partnership projects were reviewed in 2025.

Licensing procedures for industrial permits, preliminary approvals, and customs exemptions for factory inputs were reduced to one working day in the fourth quarter.

In the consumer sector, efficiency improved with 18,400 special permits issued for discounts and promotions, a 26 percent increase from 2024, and processing times were reduced to less than one working day.

The average time to process price increase requests decreased from two days to one day in the fourth quarter, with an annual average of 25 days in 2025, a 63 percent reduction from 2024.

Additionally, 229,000 inspections were conducted during the year, with violations recorded in 19 percent of establishments, mostly due to absence from registered locations.

Consumer complaints totaled 23,400 and were fully resolved. Support programs benefited 450,000 recipients under food supply programs and 8,535 recipients under fodder support during the fourth quarter.

Concluding the meeting, the minister emphasized the importance of maintaining an integrated institutional approach focused on enhancing efficiency, accelerating digital transformation, and improving service quality to boost national economic competitiveness and achieve the objectives of Qatar National Vision 2030.