Months after flood devastation, Pakistan restores rail link connecting southwestern Quetta city

Nadim Ahmed, a passenger traveling to Punjab, looks out through a window of Jaffer Express standing at a railway station in Quetta, Pakistan, on April,15 2023. (AN photo)
Short Url
Updated 15 April 2023
Follow

Months after flood devastation, Pakistan restores rail link connecting southwestern Quetta city

  • Pakistan Railways has reconstructed a 135-year-old bridge that was washed away in floods last August
  • The deluges killed 1,700 people, affected another 33 million and caused $30 billion economic losses

QUETTA: The Pakistan Railways has rebuilt a historical British colonial era bridge that collapsed after the last year’s massive floods in Balochistan, officials said on Saturday, with the rail service between the provincial capital of Quetta and the rest of the country being fully restored after eight months. 

Deadly floods last year caused widespread death and destruction in Pakistan’s southern Sindh and southwestern Balochistan provinces, inundating a third of the South Asian country at one point. The deluges killed more than 1,700 people, affected 33 million and washed away key infrastructure. 

Balochistan, a rugged mountainous region, has a historical railway passage built by the British more than a century ago that leads through various ravines and rocky tunnels. The floods washed away the Hirak Bridge, which lies some 60 kilometers away from the provincial capital of Quetta and was constructed in 1888 and disconnected Quetta from the rest of the country. 

However, railway authorities have restored the bridge and reestablished the key communication link almost eight months after it was destroyed. A Peshawar-bound train, Jaffar Express, also left the Quetta railway station early Saturday morning, carrying more than 300 passengers for different cities in the Sindh, Punjab and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa provinces. 

“The rains caused heavy floods in many ravines that lead through the Bolan Pass which caused destruction of the Hirak Bridge in August 2022,” Railways Divisional Superintendent (DS) Fareed Ahmed told reporters at the Quetta railway station. 

“We have reconstructed two pillars of the destroyed bridge with the total cost of 656 million rupees ($2.3 million) and today Quetta has been re-connected with the rest of the cities through the train service.” 




Passengers walk through a security gate at Quetta Railway Station in Quetta, Pakistan, on April 15, 2023. (AN Photo)

In November, Pakistan Railways partially resumed the train service from Balochistan’s Mach city, some 60km from Quetta. People traveled to Mach via road to board trains leaving for southern, eastern and northwestern parts of the country. 

Aziz-ur-Rehman, 38, who has been working as a train driver with the Pakistan Railways, said the authorities have directed them to ensure the minimum speed of 15km per hour while crossing the newly restored bridge. 

“The construction teams faced difficulties drilling into the rocky land that caused delay in the completion of the bridge,” Rehman told Arab News. 




Aziz-ur-Rehman, a train driver, stands beside the train engine at Quetta Railway Station in Quetta, Pakistan, on April 15, 2023. (AN Photo)

The restoration of the rail link coincides with the last few days of the holy fasting month of Ramadan, which is followed by the Eid Al-Fitr religious holiday. A large number of people working in different parts of Pakistan use the train service to visit their hometowns to spend Eid with their loved ones as it is considered an easy and cheaper way to travel in the South Asian country. 

Muhammad Nadim, a 16-year-old laborer who was traveling to Punjab’s Bahawalpur city, appreciated the restoration of the rail link from Quetta, saying poor passengers could not afford private transport due to fuel price hikes in the country. 

“We are happy that the Jaffar Express has been departing from the Quetta railway station because many passengers were not comfortable with the train leaving from Mach,” Nadim told Arab News. 

He requested railway authorities to resume suspended trains that once traveled from Quetta to Karachi and Faisalabad. 


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”