Iran’s Raisi ‘welcomes’ invitation by Saudi king — official

This combination of file pictures created on March 19, 2023, shows Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz (left) delivering a speech in Jeddah on October 16, 2022, and Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi (right) speaking during a press conference in Tehran on August 29, 2022. (Photos courtesy: AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 19 March 2023
Follow

Iran’s Raisi ‘welcomes’ invitation by Saudi king — official

  • Saudi Arabia, Iran agreed to a Chinese-brokered deal to renew diplomatic relations
  • Iranian FM says three locations for talks with Saudi counterpart have been suggested

TEHRAN: Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi has favorably received an invitation from Saudi Arabia’s King Salman to visit the kingdom following the reconciliation deal between the two countries, an Iranian official said Sunday.

“In a letter to President Raisi... the King of Saudi Arabia welcomed the deal between the two brotherly countries (and) invited him to Riyadh,” tweeted Mohammad Jamshidi, the Iranian president’s deputy chief of staff for political affairs, adding that “Raisi welcomed the invitation.”

The two regional heavyweights announced on March 10 a Chinese-brokered deal to restore ties seven years after they were severed.

The deal is expected to see Iran and Saudi Arabia reopen their embassies and missions within two months and implement security and economic cooperation deals signed more than 20 years ago.

Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian told reporters on Sunday that the two countries had agreed to hold a meeting between their top diplomats.

He added that three locations for the talks had been suggested, without specifying which.

The detente between Saudi Arabia, the world’s biggest oil exporter, and Iran, strongly at odds with Western governments over its nuclear activities, has the potential to reshape relations across a region characterised by turbulence for decades.

Iran and Saudi Arabia support rival sides in several conflict zones including Yemen, where the Houthi rebels are backed by Tehran, and Riyadh leads a military coalition supporting the government.

A number of Gulf countries followed Riyadh’s action in 2016 and scaled back ties with Tehran, though the United Arab Emirates and Kuwait recently restored ties.

Iran said last week it would welcome restoring ties with Bahrain following the deal with Saudi Arabia.

In the past, Bahrain accused Iran of having trained and backed an uprising in the kingdom in order to topple the Manama government. Tehran denies this.

In September, Iran welcomed an Emirati ambassador after a six-year absence, and a month earlier it said Kuwait had sent its first ambassador to Tehran since 2016.

Iran’s top security official Ali Shamkhani also held talks with Emirati President Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan in Abu Dhabi on Thursday in yet another sign of the shifting relations in the region.


Head of Gaza technocrat committee in Washington for ‘Board of Peace’ meeting: Palestinian officials

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Head of Gaza technocrat committee in Washington for ‘Board of Peace’ meeting: Palestinian officials

  • Shaath is scheduled to deliver a speech outlining the general framework of his plan for the first 100 days
  • Around two dozen world leaders and senior officials have traveled to Washington for the meeting

GAZA CITY, Palestinian Territories: The head of the Palestinian technocratic committee formed to handle day-to-day governance of Gaza, Ali Shaath, was in Washington Thursday to attend the inaugural “Board of Peace” meeting, two Palestinian officials told AFP.
“Ali Shaath... arrived in Washington at dawn today to participate in the Washington meeting of the Board of Peace,” a source familiar with the committee told AFP.
“Shaath is scheduled to deliver a speech outlining the general framework of his plan for the first 100 days. He is accompanied by the committee’s official in charge of the finance portfolio,” the source added.
A committee member confirmed to AFP that Shaath had arrived “following an invitation he received yesterday to attend the Washington meeting.”
Around two dozen world leaders and senior officials have traveled to Washington for the meeting, which was set up after the Trump administration, along with Qatar and Egypt, negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of war in Gaza.
Around two dozen world leaders and senior officials have traveled to Washington for the inaugural meeting of the “Board of Peace,” which was set up after the Trump administration, along with Qatar and Egypt, negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of war in Gaza.
At Thursday’s meeting, Trump is expected to detail pledges of more than $5 billion for Gaza.
The meeting will also look at how to launch the International Stabilization Force that will ensure security in Gaza.