Kohli ‘sick’ during his epic knock, says wife Anushka

India's Virat Kohli (C) takes a break during the fourth day of the fourth and final Test cricket match between India and Australia at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad on March 12, 2023. (Photo courtesy: AFP)
Short Url
Updated 12 March 2023
Follow

Kohli ‘sick’ during his epic knock, says wife Anushka

  • Former Indian captain Virat Kohli scored his first Test century in over three years against Australia
  • Kohli went through a batting slump in 2021 and 2022, during which he was also India’s captaincy

AHMEDABAD, India: Virat Kohli’s Bollywood actor wife Anushka Sharma on Sunday claimed her husband was unwell during his huge knock of 186 against Australia, his triumphant first Test ton in over three years.

The star batsman ended his long drought with the bat on day four of the fourth Test against Australia to power India’s first innings reply in Ahmedabad.

Kohli finally fell to Todd Murphy’s off spin in the final session after playing 364 deliveries in a marathon innings in front of a rapturous crowd at the world’s biggest cricket stadium.

In an Instagram story posted after the superstar cricketer’s 75th international ton, Anushka wrote: “Playing through sickness with this composure. Inspiring me always.”

Axar Patel, who shared a 162-run sixth-wicket stand with Kohli in India’s 571 all out in response to 480 by Australia, said Kohli appeared to be anything but unwell.

“That (he was ill) I don’t know, but the way he was running between the wickets, it didn’t seem he was unwell,” Axar told reporters.

“The way he got the partnership in this heat and ran between the wickets, it was good batting alongside him.”

Called “King Kohli” for his prolific run-making, the maestro racked up his 28th Test ton with a single off spinner Nathan Lyon in the second session to bring the house down in Ahmedabad.

Kohli went through an extended batting slump in 2021 and 2022, during which time he lost the Indian captaincy, one of the most high-pressure jobs in world sport.

Kohli, 34, had spoken about his mental health struggles during his dry phase, including how he had been “snappy” to Sharma, with whom he has a young daughter.


Postecoglou admits taking Nottingham Forest post a ‘bad decision’

Updated 19 February 2026
Follow

Postecoglou admits taking Nottingham Forest post a ‘bad decision’

  • Postecoglou, 60, was appointed as Nuno Espirito Santo’s successor in September
  • “There’s no point me blaming it on ‘I didn’t get time’ or anything,” said Postecoglou

LONDON: Ange Postecoglou has said he has only himself to blame for an extraordinarily brief reign as Nottingham Forest manager, with the Australian accepting he made “a bad decision” taking on the job with the Premier League strugglers.
Postecoglou, 60, was appointed as Nuno Espirito Santo’s successor in September.
But infamously impatient Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis sacked Postecoglou just 39 days later, after the experienced manager lost six of his eight games in charge.
Postecoglou, reflecting on his time at Forest for the Overlap podcast, said an over-eagerness to get back into management after his departure from Tottenham Hotspur three months earlier, had been the root cause of his troubles at the City Ground.
“There’s no point me blaming it on ‘I didn’t get time’ or anything,” said Postecoglou. “I should never have gone in there. That was on me. That was a bad decision by me to go in there. I’ve got to take ownership of that.
“It was too soon after Tottenham. I was taking over at a time where they were kind of used to doing things a certain way and I’m obviously going to do things differently. I’ve got to cop that, that was my mistake. It’s no-one else’s fault.”
Postecoglou remains without a club but he has ruled out returning to Celtic, where he enjoyed a successful two-year stint from 2021-23, with the 73-year-old Martin O’Neill currently in caretaker charge of the Scottish champions until the end of the season.
“I loved Celtic, it’s a wonderful football club,” said Postecoglou, who left the Glasgow giants to join Spurs. “If I was younger, I probably would have stayed there longer. I probably would have stayed there three, four years.
“I think I could have made progress with them in Europe but at the time, it had taken me a long time to get to this sort of space, and the opportunity to join Tottenham was too good.
“In terms of going back, I don’t go back. I just don’t think that’s kind of been my career.
“Whatever the next step is, it’ll be something new, somewhere I can make an impact in, somewhere I can win things, but it doesn’t diminish the affection I have for Celtic.”