Eight members of caretaker cabinet take oath in Pakistan’s Punjab province 

Pakistani legislators of Punjab province gather during assembly session in Lahore on April 9, 2008 after the February 18 general election. (Photo courtesy: AFP/FILE)
Short Url
Updated 27 January 2023
Follow

Eight members of caretaker cabinet take oath in Pakistan’s Punjab province 

  • The 11-member caretaker cabinet includes Pakistani fast bowler Wahab Riaz 
  • Ex-CM Chaudhry Parvaiz Elahi dissolved Punjab Assembly earlier this month 

ISLAMABAD: Eight members of the caretaker Punjab cabinet on Thursday took oath at the Punjab Governor’s House in Lahore to manage administrative affairs in the country’s most populous province for three months before the elections, Pakistani state media reported. 

Former chief minister Chaudhry Pervaiz Elahi dissolved the 17th provincial assembly of Punjab on January 14. Elahi, an ally of former prime minister Imran Khan, dissolved the assembly in a bid to mount pressure on PM Sharif’s government to call nationwide snap elections. The move was followed by the dissolution of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa provincial legislature that was ruled by Khan’s PTI party. 

After a deadlock between PM Sharif’s Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) and Khan’s Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) parties, Pakistan’s election regulator selected media mogul Mohsin Naqvi as the caretaker chief minister of Punjab. The move was denounced by Khan, who accused Naqvi of being biased in favor of the PML-N. 

“Governor Muhammad Baleegh ur Rehman administered the oath at a ceremony, which was attended by the Caretaker Punjab Chief Minister Mohsin Naqvi and high-up officials,” the Radio Pakistan broadcaster said.




In this screengrab taken from state television's coverage, the Punjab Governor Baligh Ur Rehman administers oath to the members of the caretaker cabinet at the Governor's House in Lahore on January 26, 2023. (Photo courtesy: YouTube/PTVNewsLife)

The ministers who took oath included S. M. Tanveer, Dr. Javaid Akram, Ibrahim Murad, Bilal Afzal, Dr. Jamal Nasir, Mansoor Qadir, Syed Azfar Ali Nasir and Amir Mir. 

Three “finalized ministers,” according to Radio Pakistan, are expected to take oath of office later. They include Pakistani fast bowler Wahab Riaz, Naseem Sadiq and Tamkinat Karim. 

Pakistani media widely reported that Riaz had been appointed as the caretaker sports minister of the province. 


Pakistan killed over 80 militants in strikes on TTP camps in Afghanistan — official

Updated 29 min 55 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan killed over 80 militants in strikes on TTP camps in Afghanistan — official

  • Saturday’s airstrikes followed a series of attacks inside Pakistan amid a surge in militancy
  • The Afghan Taliban authorities accuse Pakistani forces of killing civilians in the airstrikes

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s airstrikes in Afghanistan destroyed seven Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) camps and killed over 80 militants, a Pakistani security official said on Sunday, with the Afghan Taliban accusing Pakistani forces of killing civilians in the assault.

Saturday’s airstrikes followed a series of attacks inside Pakistan amid a surge in militancy. Authorities say the attacks, particularly in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province and the Pakistani capital of Islamabad, were carried out by the TTP and allied groups that Islamabad alleges are operating from sanctuaries in Afghanistan. Kabul denies this.

According to Pakistan’s information ministry, recent incidents included a suicide bombing at a Shiite mosque in Islamabad, separate attacks in Bajaur and Bannu, and another recent incident in Bannu during the holy month of Ramadan, which started earlier this week. The government said it had “conclusive evidence” linking the attacks to militants directed by leadership based in Afghanistan.

“Last night, Pakistan’s intelligence-based air strikes destroyed seven centers of Fitna Al-Khawarij TTP in three provinces of Nangarhar, Paktika and Khost, in which more than eighty Khawarij (TTP militants) have been confirmed killed, while more are expected,” a Pakistani security official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told Arab News.

An earlier statement from Pakistan’s information ministry said the targets included a camp of a Daesh regional affiliate, the Islamic State Khorasan Province (ISKP), which claimed a suicide bombing at an Islamabad Shiite mosque that killed 32 people this month.

In an X post, Afghan government spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid said Pakistani forces had violated Afghan territory.

“Pakistani special military circles have once again trespassed into Afghan territory,” Mujahid said. “Last night, they bombed our civilian compatriots in Nangarhar and Paktika provinces, martyring and wounding dozens of people, including women and children.”
 
The Afghan Taliban’s claims of civilian casualties could not be independently verified. Pakistan did not immediately comment on the allegation that civilians had been killed in the strikes.

In a post on X, Afghanistan’s foreign ministry said it had summoned Pakistan’s charge d’affaires to Afghanistan Ubaid-ur-Rehman Nizamani and lodged protest through a formal démarche in response to the Pakistani military strikes.

“IEA-MoFA (The Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs) vehemently condemns the violation of Afghanistan’s airspace and the targeting of civilians, describing it as a flagrant breach of Afghanistan’s territorial integrity & a provocative action,” it said in a statement.

“The Pakistani side was also categorically informed that safeguarding Afghanistan’s territorial integrity is the religious responsibility of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan; henceforth, the responsibility for any adverse consequences of such actions will rest with the opposing side.”

Tensions between Islamabad and Kabul have escalated since the Afghan Taliban returned to power in 2021. Pakistan says cross-border militant attacks have increased since then and has accused the Taliban of failing to honor commitments under the 2020 Doha Agreement to prevent Afghan soil from being used for attacks against other countries. The Taliban deny allowing such activity and have previously rejected similar accusations.

Saturday’s exchange of accusations marks one of the most direct confrontations between the two neighbors in recent months and risks further straining already fragile ties along the volatile border.