Pakistan says Indian team not allowed to leave country for baseball tournament in Islamabad

Pakistani national baseball team practicing during a national baseball training camp held at Sports Complex Islamabad on January 5, 2023. (Photo courtesy: @pakbaseball/Twitter)
Short Url
Updated 26 January 2023
Follow

Pakistan says Indian team not allowed to leave country for baseball tournament in Islamabad

  • Pakistan Baseball Federation says the Indian players arrived at the Wagah border but were not allowed to exit
  • The seven-nation West Asia Baseball Cup, which starts on Friday, will now be played among six countries

ISLAMABAD: India’s border control authority on Wednesday barred the country’s baseball team from entering Lahore via the Wagah border to participate in the West Asia Baseball Cup being hosted by Pakistan, the Pakistan Federation Baseball said, with the originally planned seven-team event now to be played between six teams only.

The 15th edition of the West Asia Baseball Cup has been organized by the Pakistan Federation Baseball in collaboration with Dubai-based Baseball United, the first-ever professional baseball league created to serve South Asia and the Middle East. The event is scheduled to be held at Islamabad’s Pakistan Sports Complex from January 27 through February 1.

“The tournament was originally planned to have seven teams, but the Indian squad could not get border clearance from their government after getting visas to Pakistan,” Syed Fakhar Ali Shah, president of the Pakistan Federation Baseball, confirmed while speaking to Arab News. “As of now, only six teams will play because of India’s situation.”

Pakistani media widely reported that the Indian team was not allowed by Indian immigration officials to leave for Pakistan when they arrived at the Wagah border crossing. 

Earlier this week, Shah told sports website Geo Super that Pakistan had granted no objection certificates (NOCs) to the Indian team to participate in the event.

“NOC letters have been received from the Ministry of Inter-Provincial Coordination,” he said. “They have also been sent to India Baseball Federation Secretary Harish Kumar.”

New Delhi has not yet commented on its team missing the tournament in Pakistan.

The two arch-rival nuclear powers have fought three wars since independence from British rule in 1947. Two of the wars were over Kashmir, a disputed Himalayan region, which both the nations claim. Each controls half of the region.

The two neighbors came close to war again in 2019, when India launched an air strike inside Pakistan to target what New Delhi said was a militant training facility. Tensions were again inflamed when India unilaterally revoked the autonomous status of its part of Kashmir later in 2019.

Official talks between the two countries have been suspended since then, although there have been some backdoor diplomacy attempts to resume negotiations — one brokered by the UAE in 2021.

With India out of the baseball tournament, it will not be played between Pakistan, Palestine, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Afghanistan. The baseball team from Nepal entered Pakistan through the Wagah border after getting clearance and the Palestinian team also arrived on Wednesday.


Pakistan launches digital cash aid for low-income families during Ramadan, PM says

Updated 19 February 2026
Follow

Pakistan launches digital cash aid for low-income families during Ramadan, PM says

  • Ramadan relief moves from state-run Utility Stores to targeted digital wallet transfers
  • Government to transfer financial assistance through wallets to support sehri, iftar expenses

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan will provide financial assistance to low-income households through digital wallets during the fasting month of Ramadan, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif said on Thursday, announcing a government relief initiative aimed at helping families afford daily meals.

The support program comes as many Pakistanis continue to face elevated food and utility costs despite easing inflation, with Ramadan traditionally increasing household spending on staple foods, fruits and energy consumption.

For decades, government-run Utility Stores Corporation outlets were central to Ramadan relief in Pakistan, selling subsidized flour, sugar, ghee and pulses through special “Ramzan packages” that drew long queues in low-income neighborhoods. In recent years, however, authorities have steadily scaled back the system amid mounting losses, corruption complaints and logistical inefficiencies, shifting instead toward targeted cash transfers delivered through digital wallets and banking channels. 

The change reflects a broader policy move away from state-managed commodity distribution toward direct financial assistance intended to give households flexibility while reducing leakages in subsidy programs.

“The Government of Pakistan has launched a Ramadan package under which financial assistance will be transferred to deserving individuals through digital wallets so that households can maintain sehri and iftar meals,” Sharif said in a message issued by his office.

The prime minister said Ramadan encourages compassion and collective responsibility toward vulnerable segments of society, adding that welfare support was part of the state’s duty during the holy month.

Officials say the digital cash transfers approach improves transparency and reduces corruption risks while enabling faster payments nationwide, particularly in urban low-income communities.

But the shift to fully digital assistance also brings challenges. 

Access to smartphones and reliable mobile Internet remains uneven, particularly in rural areas and among older recipients, while many low-income households use SIM cards registered to someone else, complicating verification.