Family access to executed British Iranian barred

Former Iranian deputy of defence minister, British-Iranian national Alireza Akbari, during an interview in Tehran. Iran has sentenced Akbari to death after his conviction (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 17 January 2023
Follow

Family access to executed British Iranian barred

  • Alireza Akbari, Iran’s deputy defense minister from 2000 to 2005, was executed on Saturday
  • Relative: ‘They are just playing with us. It is cruel and heartless’

LONDON: Iranian authorities have barred the family of an executed British national from seeing the man’s body or burying him in his birthplace of Shiraz.

Alireza Akbari, who served as Iran’s deputy defense minister from 2000 to 2005, was executed on Saturday, three years on from his arrest, after being found guilty of spying for MI6.

Details surrounding the execution have been confused by conflicting details. Reports on Thursday, which were swiftly denied, suggested Akbari had been executed.

The family were then informed that the sentence would be carried out on Saturday as Friday was a public holiday in Iran, while also being misled into believing there was the possibility of a reprieve.

They then awoke on Saturday morning to a statement from the judicial news agency announcing the execution had been conducted.

The Guardian reported that negotiations then ensued over collecting the body, with the family required to agree that he would be buried quietly in a specifically marked spot in a Tehran cemetery.

But when Akbari’s Tehran-based sister and daughter went to collect the body on Monday, they were told by authorities that a man with the same name and details had already been buried on Thursday and that there was no body to collect.  

One family member said: “We have never seen the body. We do not know if he is in that grave site. We do not know if he was executed on Thursday or Sunday, or even if the talk of parole was just to string us along. Perhaps even we do not know if he is dead or alive, because we cannot access the grave.”

The family member added: “They are just playing with us. It is cruel and heartless. They have tried to destroy his reputation by fabricating that he is a traitor, and now this.”

British Foreign Secretary James Cleverly described the actions of Iran’s authorities as “deeply distressing.”

Addressing the House of Commons, Cleverly told MPs that Akbari had been tortured to make him confess to spying, stating: “He fell victim to the political vendettas of a vicious regime … (The Iranian regime) thinks nothing of using the death penalty to silence dissent and settle internal scores.”


Ex-diplomats defend UN Palestinians expert Francesca Albanese against France FM

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

Ex-diplomats defend UN Palestinians expert Francesca Albanese against France FM

  • More than 150 European ex-diplomats and lawmakers urge Jean-Noel Barrot to retract ‘inaccurate’ comments about Albanese
  • UN expert says claims she referred to Israel as a “common enemy” are completely false
PARIS: More than 150 European ex-diplomats and lawmakers on Wednesday urged France’s foreign minister to retract “inaccurate” comments about a UN expert on Palestinians rights who he wants to resign.
France and Germany have called for Francesca Albanese to step down over remarks in which she referred to a “common enemy of humanity” after criticizing “most of the world” and the media for enabling Israel’s “genocide” in Gaza.
Critics and Israel have accused the UN Special Rapporteur of referring to Israel as a “common enemy,” while Albanese has denounced this as a “manipulation” and “completely false.”
In response to a question about the comments, French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot on February 11 told parliament she should step down.
In an open letter sent to AFP, the former diplomats criticized what they called “the use of inaccurate and manipulated elements to discredit a holder of an independent UN mandate.”
They called on Barrot to “retract his inaccurate statements about Ms Albanese and correct them.”
“This controversy must not divert attention from the massacres of civilians, nor from the humanitarian crisis and the massive human rights violations taking place in Gaza,” said the signatories.
The letter, written in French, was signed by mostly former foreign ministers and diplomats from the Netherlands.
More than a dozen current members of parliament and senators from Europe were also among the signatories, along with a former foreign minister of South Africa.
Albanese had spoken via videoconference at a forum in Doha on February 7 organized by the Al Jazeera network.
“The fact that instead of stopping Israel, most of the world has armed, given Israel political excuses, political sheltering, economic and financial support — this is a challenge,” she had said.
Albanese said that “international law has been stabbed in the heart” but added that there is an opportunity since “we now see that we as a humanity have a common enemy.”