International rights organization says ‘alarmed’ by arrests during Gwadar protests

This file photo taken on December 10, 2021, shows thousands of demonstrators gather at Marine Drive in Gwadar, Pakistan. (AN Photo/File)
Short Url
Updated 31 December 2022
Follow

International rights organization says ‘alarmed’ by arrests during Gwadar protests

  • The Pakistani port city is at the heart of a $60 billion corridor project carried out by the Chinese authorities
  • Amnesty International says people can ‘express discontent’ after authorities exercise emergency powers

ISLAMABAD: An international rights organization on Friday reacted to popular protests and arrests in Pakistan’s southwestern port city of Gwadar, saying it was “alarmed” by the developments while emphasizing the right of people to express their grievances peacefully.

Gwadar is at the heart of a $60 billion China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) where workers from Beijing have been involved in the development of the port on the Arabian Sea. The residents of the city say, however, the Chinese investment in the region has done little to improve their lives, particularly with regards to water scarcity and employment opportunities.

Protests against the lack of basic facilities first started in November 2021 under the banner of “Give Gwadar its Rights” but dissipated after the government negotiated with demonstrators and promised to meet their demands. Around two months ago, these protests broke out again and more recently led to the killing of a police constable, making the provincial authorities in Balochistan prohibit large gatherings by imposing Section 144 of the Code of Criminal Procedure.

There was also a shutdown of Internet and mobile phone services in the area while some local newspapers said over a hundred protesters had been arrested by the authorities.

“Amnesty International is alarmed by reports of mass arrests and the imposition of emergency law following protests in Gwadar,” the rights organization said in a Twitter post. “People have the right to express discontent peacefully and the state has an obligation to facilitate this right.”

 

 

Balochistan’s home minister Meer Zia Ullah Langau maintained in a Twitter post on Thursday local forces were trying to peacefully deal with protests in Gwadar but had to use its emergency powers after the constable was killed.

However, protest leader Maulana Hidayat-ur-Rehman said the provincial authorities were taking coercive measures while asking why the Internet and mobile services had been suspended in the area.

Balochistan has long been a scene of a low-level insurgency by separatist groups seeking independence from the central government in Islamabad.

Authorities in Balochistan have often faced criticism for using force to quell dissenting voices against the state.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”