Pakistan army chief visits hospitalized soldiers injured in Bannu operation

Pakistani chief of army staff (COAS) General Syed Asim Munir (first right) meets soldiers injured in Bannu operation at Combined Military Hospital in the city of Rawalpindi, Pakistan on December 21, 2022. (ISPR)
Short Url
Updated 21 December 2022
Follow

Pakistan army chief visits hospitalized soldiers injured in Bannu operation

  • Militants held at counterterrorism department complex took control of the compound on Sunday
  • A two day siege followed and ultimately army commandoes storming the compound on Tuesday

KARACHI: Pakistani chief of army staff (COAS) General Syed Asim Munir on Wednesday visited the Combined Military Hospital in the city of Rawalpindi to enquire about the wellbeing of soldiers injured in an operation on Tuesday to take control of a police compound that militants had held hostage since Sunday. 

Militants being detained at the counterterrorism department (CTD) complex in the northwestern city of Bannu took control of the compound after overpowering their interrogators and taking their weapons, leading to a two day siege. Army commandoes ultimately stormed the compound on Tuesday and took back control.

Army spokesman Major General Ahmed Sharif told a local TV channel late on Tuesday night that one hostage and two commandos died in the operation to retake the compound on Dec 20. He also said one CTD official was killed earlier on Dec 18 when the Taliban detainees first took over the facility, while another was injured on that day but died later. He did not specify if this second official was among those killed during the operation. Ten soldiers, including three officers, were also injured during crossfiring, the spokesperson said.

“COAS met injured officers and soldiers who got injured during CTD complex Bannu Operations,” the army’s media wing said in a statement. “COAS remained with them for some time and inquired about their well being. COAS appreciated their high spirit and morale and lauded their professionalism during operation against terrorists.”




Pakistani chief of army staff (COAS) General Syed Asim Munir (right) enquires about the wellbeing of a soldier injured in the Bannu operation at Combined Military Hospital in the city of Rawalpindi, Pakistan, on December 21, 2022. (ISPR)

Of the 35 militants detained in the facility, 25 were killed during the operation, three were arrested while trying to escape and seven surrendered, the military said. 

According to the account by the army spokesperson and Defense Minister Khawaja Asif, the compound was back under state control on Tuesday.

The TTP associates itself with the Afghan Taliban and has been fighting to overthrow the government in Islamabad since the late 2000s. The outlawed group has ramped up attacks in recent weeks since announcing the end of an Afghan Taliban-brokered cease-fire with Islamabad in November.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”