US says ‘ready to assist’ as Pakistan Taliban takeover of police center enters third day

US State Department spokesman Ned Price speaks during a news conference at the State Department, March 10, 2022, in Washington, DC. (Photo courtesy: AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 20 December 2022
Follow

US says ‘ready to assist’ as Pakistan Taliban takeover of police center enters third day

  • Prisoners linked to TTP seized control of counterterrorism jail in northwestern town of Bannu on Sunday
  • State Department spokesman says US does not want to see “war of words” between Pakistan and India

ISLAMABAD: The United States has said it was ready to “assist” Pakistan broadly against terrorism challenges and amid an ongoing standoff between the government and local Taliban detainees who overpowered their guards at a police center and seized control of the facility on Sunday, holding it hostage since.

Authorities have opened talks with the hostage takers inside the counterterrorism department (CTD) jail but as of Tuesday morning, there were no reports of positive gains. Media reported that at least one CTD official had been killed by militants but government officials declined to confirm this or the exact number of hostages and hostage takers.

In a statement released on Sunday, the Taliban demanded its members held at the CTD jail be allowed safe passage to Pakistan’s tribal areas in North or South Waziristan.

Speaking at a press briefing on Monday evening, US State Department Spokesperson Ned Price said his country would help Pakistan take on the challenge of “terrorism”.

“We urge those responsible for the attack to cease all acts of violence, to safely release those who remain hostage, and to end the seizure of the counterterrorism center,” he said in response to a question about the hostage situation.

“Government of Pakistan is a partner when it comes to these shared challenges, including the challenge of terrorist groups – terrorist groups inside of Afghanistan, terrorist groups along the Afghan-Pakistan border.”

“We stand ready to assist, whether with this unfolding situation or more broadly,” he added.

Responding to another question related to a heated exchange between Pakistani Foreign Minister Bilawal Bhutto Zardari and Indian External Affairs Minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar at the United Nations last week, Price said the US wanted to see “constructive dialogue between India and Pakistan.”

“These [US] relationships [with India and Pakistan] stand on their own, it is not zero-sum,” Price told reporters.

“We see the importance – the indispensability really – of maintaining valuable partnerships with both our Indian and our Pakistani friends.  Each of these relationships is – we don’t view them in relation to the other. Each of these relationships also happens to be multifaceted.”

Responding to a question about the US continuing its strategic partnership with India despite its reported worsening human rights record, Price said:

“So even as we deepen our global strategic partnership with India, we are also – we also have a relationship in which we can be candid and frank with one another.  Where we have disagreements or concerns, we voice those just as we would with our Pakistani friends as well.”

The State Department Spokesman said the US did not want to “see a war of words between India and Pakistan,” adding that a “constructive dialogue” between the two nations would be for the betterment of the people of both nations:

“There is much work that we can do together bilaterally.  There are differences that, of course, need to be addressed between India and Pakistan.  The United States stands ready to assist as a partner to both.”


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”