Interior minister denies ex-army chief Bajwa nudged Punjab CM to side with Khan

Pakistan's interior minister Rana Sanaullah addresses a press conference in Islamabad on August 9, 2022. (Photo courtesy: APP/File)
Short Url
Updated 06 December 2022
Follow

Interior minister denies ex-army chief Bajwa nudged Punjab CM to side with Khan

  • CM Pervaiz Elahi, son recently said the outgoing army chief showed them “the way” to support ex-PM Khan
  • Sanaullah again asks Khan to sit with political leadership if he wants a date for next general election

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s Interior Minister Rana Sanaullah on Monday denied the statements of Punjab Chief Minister Pervaiz Elahi and his son, which suggested former army chief Qamar Javed Bajwa had asked them to support ex-prime minister Imran Khan in the face of a no-trust vote in parliament earlier this year.

Khan, who was ousted in the no-confidence vote in April, accuses General (retired) Bajwa of having a part in his ouster and engaging in “double games.” The former premier in an interview last week regretted giving three-year extension to the former army chief.

But Elahi, who is an ally of Khan’s Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party in the Punjab province, and his son, Moonis, have said that Bajwa showed them “the way” to support Khan.

However, Sanaullah in an interview to a Pakistani news channel denied the statements of the Punjab chief minister and his son.

“No they are stating this wrong. I am not a supporter of Gen Bajwa... but both these father and son are lying that Gen Bajwa asked them to join the PTI,” Sanaullah told Pakistan’s Geo News channel.

“During this entire period, they (Bajwa) neither asked anyone to support nor told anyone to oppose [the then government].”

Pakistan’s powerful army, which has ruled the country for nearly half of its 75-year history and is often accused of engineering ascent of political leaders to power, has lately been under attack, particularly by Khan and his supporters since the ouster of the former premier.

Bajwa, who retired on November 27 after completing his second three-year term, last month said that the Pakistani military had decided in February last year that it would no longer have any role in national politics.

About Khan’s assertion to dissolve provincial assemblies of Punjab and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Sanaullah said the government had decided to hold elections on provincial assembly seats in case Khan and his allies dissolve the provincial legislatures.

He once again asked Khan to sit with political leadership if he wanted a date for the next general election.

Since his ouster, Khan has been campaigning against the government of PM Shehbaz Sharif in a bid to force it into announcing snap polls.

The former premier, who says his ouster was part of a United States-backed foreign conspiracy, has held several rallies and twice attempted to march on the capital.

But the government seems unfazed and says the general election will be held in the second half of 2023 as scheduled.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.