Up to 13,000 Ukrainian soldiers killed since Russian invasion: Zelensky aide

Ukraine was losing “60 to 100 soldiers per day, killed in action, and around 500 people wounded in action,” said Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 02 December 2022
Follow

Up to 13,000 Ukrainian soldiers killed since Russian invasion: Zelensky aide

  • 5,937 Russian troops had been killed in the nearly seven months of fighting

KYIV: As many as 13,000 Ukrainian troops have been killed since Russia’s invasion in February, a senior adviser to President Volodymyr Zelensky has said.
“We have official estimates from the General Staff... And they range from 10,000 ... to 13,000 dead,” Mykhailo Podolyak told Ukraine’s Channel 24 on Thursday.
Zelensky would make the official data public “when the right moment comes,” he added.
In June, as Russian forces battled to take full control of the easternmost Lugansk region, Zelensky said Ukraine was losing “60 to 100 soldiers per day, killed in action, and around 500 people wounded in action.”
Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu in September said 5,937 Russian troops had been killed in the nearly seven months of fighting to that point.
Both sides are suspected of minimizing their losses to avoid damaging the morale of their troops.
Top US general Mark Milley last month said more than 100,000 Russian military personnel have been killed or wounded in Ukraine, with Kyiv’s forces likely suffering similar casualties.
Those figures — which could not be independently confirmed — are the most precise to date from the US government.
Thousands of Ukrainian civilians have been killed in the worst fighting in Europe in decades.


Iran to close parts of Hormuz Strait for 'safety' measures during drill: state TV

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Iran to close parts of Hormuz Strait for 'safety' measures during drill: state TV

TEHRAN: Iran will close parts of the strategic Strait of Hormuz for “safety” measures during military drills by its Revolutionary Guards, state TV reported on Tuesday.

“Parts of the Strait of Hormuz will be closed in order to respect the principles of safety and navigation,” said a state TV journalist reporting from a site near the drills, which began on Monday.

It was not clear how long the partial closure would last.