Heroic Saudi Arabia produce shock of Qatar 2022 by beating Argentina 2-1

1 / 6
 Saudi Arabia stunned Lionel Messi’s Argentina on Tuesday, beating the two-time winners 2-1 in one of the biggest upsets in World Cup history. (AN Photo/Basheer Saleh)
2 / 6
 Saudi Arabia stunned Lionel Messi’s Argentina on Tuesday, beating the two-time winners 2-1 in one of the biggest upsets in World Cup history. (AN Photo/Basheer Saleh)
3 / 6
 Saudi Arabia stunned Lionel Messi’s Argentina on Tuesday, beating the two-time winners 2-1 in one of the biggest upsets in World Cup history. (AN Photo/Basheer Saleh)
4 / 6
 Saudi Arabia stunned Lionel Messi’s Argentina on Tuesday, beating the two-time winners 2-1 in one of the biggest upsets in World Cup history. (AN Photo/Basheer Saleh)
5 / 6
 Saudi Arabia stunned Lionel Messi’s Argentina on Tuesday, beating the two-time winners 2-1 in one of the biggest upsets in World Cup history. (AN Photo/Basheer Saleh)
6 / 6
 Saudi Arabia stunned Lionel Messi’s Argentina on Tuesday, beating the two-time winners 2-1 in one of the biggest upsets in World Cup history. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 23 November 2022
Follow

Heroic Saudi Arabia produce shock of Qatar 2022 by beating Argentina 2-1

  • Win is first ever by an Arab or Asian nation against the two-time world champions
  • Herve Renard revealed that before the match he had told his players to think of the 35 million watching at home

Saudi Arabia produced the shock of the 2022 World Cup so far by beating Argentina 2-1 in front of a celebratory crowd at Lusail Stadium in Doha.  

The victory by Herve Renard’s men was the first time an Arab or Asian team have beaten the two-time world champions at this level, and will go down as one of the greatest upsets in the history of the competition.

Argentina took the lead after only 10 minutes through Lionel Messi’s penalty, and looked to have doubled their lead when Lautaro Martinez netted later in the first half, only for VAR to intervene and rule out the goal.

The Saudi players emerged from the break a team on a mission, and completed a remarkable turnaround with two wonderful strikes by Saleh Al-Shehri in the 48th minute and star man Salem Al-Dawsari five minutes later.

Argentina came back strongly but some heroic defending and a man-of-the-match performance by goalkeeper Mohammed Al-Owais saw them secure a historic win in their opening Group C fixture.

A 0-0 draw between Poland and Mexico in the same group means Saudi Arabia lead the pack.

Renard said after the match: “We made history for Saudi football; it will stay forever.

“That is the most important thing. But we have to look forward. We have two difficult games ahead of us.”

The French coach, who masterminded Morocco’s World Cup campaign in Russia four years ago, thanked the Kingdom’s leaders and football authorities for their backing and faith in his abilities, and for supporting the team.

“When I decided to coach this team three years ago I found all the support,” he told Reuters.

“We have a great federation president and also a great Ministry of Sport.

“When we met with the prince (Mohammed bin Salman), he did not put any pressure on us, and this is wonderful. Being pressured does not work often.”

Renard revealed that before the match he had told his players to think of the 35 million watching at home. He added that some of them had shed tears before entering the field of play.

Saudi Arabia’s next match will be against Poland on Nov. 26 at Education City Stadium in Doha, and they will conclude their group matches against Mexico on Nov. 30 at Lusail Stadium.


Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup 2027 dates confirmed

Updated 18 February 2026
Follow

Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup 2027 dates confirmed

  • After a record-breaking tournament in January, the competition returns next year from Jan. 8-10

ABU DHABI: The Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup will return in 2027 following another record-breaking edition last month, and the registration window is now open.

From Jan. 8 to 10, 2027, teams from across the world will be able to compete in the eighth edition of the region’s Tournament of Choice.

The competition’s three-day format returns after a successful expansion this year that had more than 8,000 people attend Zayed Sports City across a weekend that featured 3,500 local, regional and international players.

In total, 244 teams from the under-8 to under-16 categories competed in the 2026 edition, with 86 international sides, spanning 18 countries, four continents, and a record-breaking 44 girl teams.

Off the pitch, players and spectators were able to enjoy the City Village that played host to entertainment and activations supported by the club’s partners.

This included the e& Gaming Zone, Puma pop-up and Aldar’s showcase of Fahid Island, as well as performances from a DJ and visits from special guests, including tournament ambassador and Manchester City legend Nedum Onuoha, and event host FG.

Teams will compete for the Abu Dhabi Cup, and individual age-group winners will go into a prize draw for their team to win a trip to a City Football Group club, where they will train and watch the first team in action.

Simon Hewitt, tournament director, and director of Football Operations MENA, said the 2026 edition was a “landmark event.”

“It was the first time we had expanded the tournament to three days, and the reaction to that decision was incredible. Players were able to spend more time on the pitch, take in the incredible atmosphere of the City Village, and enjoy the sights and attractions of Abu Dhabi.

“We might only be a month removed from that tournament, but the hard work in preparing for 2027 starts now. Already, teams are asking when they can register, and we expect huge competition for places from all over the world.”