Armed police deployed to guard London-based Persian-language TV station

Police in the UK are protecting the offices of Persian-language TV channel Iran International after two of its journalists were threatened by the regime in Tehran. (Wikimedia Commons)
Short Url
Updated 19 November 2022
Follow

Armed police deployed to guard London-based Persian-language TV station

  • Iran International journalists threatened by Iranian regime for coverage of anti-government protests
  • MI5 warns Tehran has significantly increased threats against UK citizens and expat Iranian dissidents

LONDON: Police in the UK are protecting the offices of Persian-language TV channel Iran International after two of its journalists were threatened by the regime in Tehran.

The Metropolitan Police in London said they had received a “credible threat” against the individuals and that they had stationed armed response vehicles outside the broadcaster’s offices.

The channel has carried footage of the ongoing protests against the Iranian government throughout their duration, accusing the country’s leadership of “state-sponsored intimidation.”

The government of Iran has branded Iran International a “terrorist organization,” and the journalists are thought to have been targeted by the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps in a “significant and dangerous escalation” of its overseas activities.

Last week, Iran’s Intelligence Minister Esmail Khatib explicitly stated that Iran International and its “agents” would be targeted by the regime.

A spokesman for Iran International said: “We don’t know how long the ARVs will be deployed but staff continue to take precautions as previously advised by our security director.”

He added that the decision was “all Met-led and not in response to us.”

Iran International’s managers Volant Media said: “The Metropolitan Police have now formally notified both journalists that these threats represent an imminent, credible and significant risk to their lives and those of their families. Other members of our staff have also been informed by the Metropolitan Police of separate threats.

“These lethal threats to British citizens come after weeks of warnings from the IRGC and Iranian government about the work of a free and uncensored (Persian)-language media working in London.”

The IRGC, Volant Media added, “cannot be allowed to export their pernicious media crackdown to the UK” and it called on the British government to “join us in condemning these horrific threats and continue to highlight the importance of media freedom.”

British intelligence earlier this month revealed Iran had increased its activities targeting UK-based Iranian dissidents and British nationals.

MI5 Director General Ken McCallum said the threats, including assassination attempts, were “reckless actions” by a “state actor that most frequently crosses into terrorism” in a bid to “silence critics.”

Iran “projects threats to the UK directly through its aggressive intelligence services,” McCallum said. “At its sharpest, this includes ambitions to kidnap or even kill British or UK-based individuals perceived as enemies of the regime. We have seen at least 10 such potential threats since January alone.”


US Secret Service says shot and killed man trying to access Trump Florida estate

An aerial view of President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate, Aug. 10, 2022, in Palm Beach, Florida. (File/AP)
Updated 57 min 23 sec ago
Follow

US Secret Service says shot and killed man trying to access Trump Florida estate

  • Trump was in Washington at the time of the incident, which officials said happened around 1:30 am (0630 GMT)

MIAMI: The US Secret Service said Sunday its agents had shot and killed an armed man who illegally entered the premises of President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida.
Trump was in Washington at the time of the incident, which officials said happened around 1:30 am (0630 GMT).
“An armed man was shot & killed by US Secret Service agents & @PBCountySheriff after unlawfully entering the secure perimeter at Mar-a-Lago early this morning,” agency spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said in a post on X.
The suspect, a man in his early 20s, was observed by the north gate of the Mar-a-Lago property carrying what appeared to be a shotgun and a fuel can,” the agency said in a statement.
Agents confronted the man and fired shots. No US officers were injured.
Trump has been the target of several assassination plots or attempts.
Earlier this month, Ryan Routh, 59, who plotted to assassinate the president at a Florida golf course in September 2024, two months before the US election, was sentenced to life in prison.
Routh’s planned attack on Trump came two months after an assassination attempt on the Republican leader in Pennsylvania, where 20-year-old Matthew Crooks fired several shots during a rally, one of them grazing Trump’s right ear.
That attack, in which a rallygoer was killed, proved to be a turning point in Trump’s return to power. Crooks was immediately shot and killed by security forces and his motive remains unknown.