China ‘appreciates’ Pakistan for death sentences for two convicted in 2021 bus blast

China’s Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Mao Ning addresses media in Beijing, China on November 15, 2022. (China’s Foreign Ministry)
Short Url
Updated 16 November 2022
Follow

China ‘appreciates’ Pakistan for death sentences for two convicted in 2021 bus blast

  • Nine Chinese engineers were killed in Dasu bus blast in July 2021
  • Last week, Pakistani court sentence two men to death for the attack

ISLAMABAD: China has appreciated Pakistan’s efforts to bring to justice men who killed 13 people, including nine Chinese nationals, in a bomb attack in the country’s northwest last year, state-run Associated Press of Pakistan (APP) reported on Wednesday. 

A Pakistani special court last week handed the death sentence to two men convicted of targeting a bus carrying Chinese engineers close to the Dasu hydroelectric project in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province in July 2021.

The Dasu attack frayed relations between Islamabad and Beijing, while Pakistan later paid millions in compensation to the families of the deceased Chinese workers.

On Tuesday, China’s Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Mao Ning told reporters that Pakistan had conducted the probe into the attack with “utmost seriousness and made every effort to get to the bottom of the case.”

“This is much appreciated by China,” Ning said. “Now that the criminals have been held accountable, we know that justice has prevailed and our fellow compatriots who lost their lives in the attack can now rest in peace.”




Rescue workers and onlookers gather around a wreck after a bus plunged into a ravine following a bomb explosion, which killed 12 people including 9 Chinese workers, in Kohistan district of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province on July 14, 2021. (AFP)

She said Beijing will remain supportive of Islamabad’s counterterrorism efforts. Ning hoped the safety of Chinese nationals, institutions and projects in Pakistan “will be duly protected.”

“Protecting the security of overseas Chinese nationals, institutions and projects is of great importance to us, and we have made tremendous efforts in that regard,” she added.

Beijing has lately voiced its concerns about the safety of Chinese nationals working in Pakistan, where it is involved in a huge infrastructure project as part of its Belt and Road Initiative.

The project, known as the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), is a network of roads, railways, pipelines and ports that will connect China to the Arabian Sea and help Islamabad expand and modernize its economy.

Militants have often targeted Chinese nationals in Pakistan’s southwestern and southern parts. More recently, a suicide attack killed three Chinese nationals and their Pakistani driver in the southern port city of Karachi in April.

Pakistan has repeatedly assured Beijing it will offer the best security to Chinese workers and residents living in the South Asian country.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”