India bridge collapse death toll crosses 130 as rescue efforts continue

India's opposition Congress party's youth wing activists pay tribute to the victims of Sunday's bridge collapse in western Gujarat state by lighting candles in New Delhi, India, Monday, Oct. 31, 2022. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 31 October 2022
Follow

India bridge collapse death toll crosses 130 as rescue efforts continue

  • Majority of those who died were women, children and the elderly
  • Gujarat incident is Asia’s third major disaster involving large crowds in October

NEW DELHI: The death toll from the collapse of a pedestrian bridge in the western Indian state of Gujarat rose to at least 132 on Monday, as Indian authorities launched an investigation into the accident that took place just days after the bridge reopened to the public.

Hundreds of sightseers celebrating Diwali, or the festival of lights, and the Chhath Puja holidays, stood on or near the 230-meter bridge — a major tourist attraction — on Sunday evening when it collapsed, sending people plunging into the Machchhu River.

The rescue operation, which is still ongoing, involves the National Disaster Response Force and officers from the Indian Navy, Ghandhyam Pedva, Gujarat’s information officer, told Arab News.

“So far 132 people are confirmed dead, and some 200 have been rescued in a night-long operation,” Pedva said.

A large number of those who died were women, children and the elderly, according to reports from local media outlets.

The bridge in Morbi, a town about 200 km from Gujarat’s main city Ahmedabad, was built during British rule in the 19th century and had been closed for about six months for renovations. It collapsed just four days after it was reopened to the public.

The structure was opened by a private company that repaired and operated the bridge without a “fitness certificate” from local authorities, Sandeep Singh, Morbi’s chief municipal commissioner, said.

“We have not been informed whether the renovation work was completed or not,” Singh told reporters.

“What happened on Sunday was carelessness,” he said. “A six-member enquiry commission has been set up by the government to fix the responsibility.”

Videos shared on social media showed the bridge split in the middle with the metal carriageway hanging down, as people clung to the edge of the structure and others tried to swim to safety in the river.

Kesav Gada was on the bridge with his 10-year-old sister when the incident occurred.

“I was taking a selfie with my sister when the bridge collapsed,” Gada told Arab News.

Though the 18-year-old managed to get hold of a rope on the bridge, his sister had fallen into the river.

“So far I am not able to locate my sister,” he said.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who is from Gujarat and was in the state for a three-day visit, announced cash compensation for the families of those killed or injured.

“I am deeply saddened by the tragedy at Morbi,” Modi said in a tweet. “Relief and rescue operations are going on in full swing and all necessary assistance is being provided to the affected.”

Modi was Gujarat’s top elected official for 12 years before becoming India’s premier in 2014. The bridge collapse took place amid election season in the state, where Modi’s Bharatiya Janata Party has remained in power for two decades. Opposition parties have called for an investigation into the incident.

Infrastructure in the South Asian country has long been marred by safety concerns, with major disasters on highways and bridges a frequent occurrence.

The bridge collapse in Gujarat is Asia’s third major disaster involving large crowds in a month, after tear gas fired at an Indonesian soccer match caused a crush that killed more than 130 people on Oct. 1, and a Halloween crowd surge in Seoul, South Korea, over the weekend killed more than 150 people.


US Secret Service says shot and killed man trying to access Trump Florida estate

An aerial view of President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate, Aug. 10, 2022, in Palm Beach, Florida. (File/AP)
Updated 57 min 23 sec ago
Follow

US Secret Service says shot and killed man trying to access Trump Florida estate

  • Trump was in Washington at the time of the incident, which officials said happened around 1:30 am (0630 GMT)

MIAMI: The US Secret Service said Sunday its agents had shot and killed an armed man who illegally entered the premises of President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida.
Trump was in Washington at the time of the incident, which officials said happened around 1:30 am (0630 GMT).
“An armed man was shot & killed by US Secret Service agents & @PBCountySheriff after unlawfully entering the secure perimeter at Mar-a-Lago early this morning,” agency spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said in a post on X.
The suspect, a man in his early 20s, was observed by the north gate of the Mar-a-Lago property carrying what appeared to be a shotgun and a fuel can,” the agency said in a statement.
Agents confronted the man and fired shots. No US officers were injured.
Trump has been the target of several assassination plots or attempts.
Earlier this month, Ryan Routh, 59, who plotted to assassinate the president at a Florida golf course in September 2024, two months before the US election, was sentenced to life in prison.
Routh’s planned attack on Trump came two months after an assassination attempt on the Republican leader in Pennsylvania, where 20-year-old Matthew Crooks fired several shots during a rally, one of them grazing Trump’s right ear.
That attack, in which a rallygoer was killed, proved to be a turning point in Trump’s return to power. Crooks was immediately shot and killed by security forces and his motive remains unknown.