US announces $275m in new military assistance for Ukraine

Ukrainian artillery unit members get prepared to fire toward Kherson on Friday outside of Kherson region, amid Russia’s military invasion on Ukraine. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 28 October 2022
Follow

US announces $275m in new military assistance for Ukraine

  • The package includes ammunition for Himars precision rocket launchers and various types of 155 mm artillery rounds

WASHINGTON: The United States will provide a new $275 million military assistance package for Ukraine to help it battle Russia’s invasion, the Pentagon announced on Friday.
The package includes ammunition for Himars precision rocket launchers, various types of 155 mm artillery rounds, anti-armor systems, small arms ammunition and four satellite communications antennas, Deputy Pentagon Press Secretary Sabrina Singh told journalists.
“We’re seeing Ukrainian infrastructure and electrical grids being targeted by the Russians and these antennas provide an additional capability on the ground at a critical time when Ukraine’s infrastructure is being hit,” Singh said.
They are not, however, intended as a substitute for the Starlink service provided by Elon Musk’s SpaceX company, and have “nothing to do in terms of access to Starlink,” she said.
Musk said earlier this month that SpaceX could not continue funding Starlink in Ukraine indefinitely, creating uncertainty surrounding a service that has provided a vital communications capability for Kyiv’s forces.
But the world’s richest man quickly reversed course, saying SpaceX will continue to pay even though Starlink is losing money.
The latest aid package brings Washington’s total security assistance commitments for Ukraine to more than $18.5 billion since early 2021, and nearly $18 billion since Russia invaded in February.


Maldives moves to merge key elections to cut costs

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Maldives moves to merge key elections to cut costs

  • The Maldives will hold a nationwide referendum in April to decide whether the presidential and parliamentary elections can be held on the same day to cut costs, an official said Wednesday
MALE: The Maldives will hold a nationwide referendum in April to decide whether the presidential and parliamentary elections can be held on the same day to cut costs, an official said Wednesday.
President Mohamed Muizzu has set the plebiscite for April 4, which if approved, would bring forward the next parliamentary vote and shorten the current legislature’s term by about five months.
Parliamentary elections are scheduled for early 2029, while the presidential poll is due in September 2028.
Muizzu’s spokesman said the president issued the decree on referendum on Monday night.
The referendum will take place alongside local council elections.
Muizzu has argued that holding both the national elections together would save the Indian Ocean archipelago about $8 million.
The People’s Majlis, dominated by Muizzu’s party, passed a resolution last week calling for constitutional amendments to synchronize the electoral calendar.
Former president Mohamed Nasheed has also publicly backed the proposed overhaul.
The push for reform comes as the Maldives faces fiscal pressures.
The International Monetary Fund last year urged stronger consolidation measures to stabilize the economy, despite a thriving tourism industry.
The government rejected an IMF bailout in 2024 and instead announced sweeping spending cuts, including halving Muizzu’s salary.
Home to around 382,000 people, the Maldives insists its financial strains are temporary and says it has no plans to seek external assistance.