World Cup fever grips football fans in Saudi Arabia

Close to 2.9 million tickets have been sold so far. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 19 October 2022
Follow

World Cup fever grips football fans in Saudi Arabia

  • Nearly 3 million tickets sold for Qatar 2022 and Saudi Arabia is third-highest purchasing nation

RIYADH: Football fans in the Kingdom have been well and truly gripped by World Cup fever. Ticket sales for the 2022 tournament in Qatar are close to hitting the three million mark, and Saudi Arabia is the third-highest purchasing nation.

Tournament chiefs revealed the figures on Monday with just over a month to go until the opening match between Qatar and Ecuador at the Al-Bayt Stadium in Al-Khor on Nov. 20.

Close to 2.9 million tickets have been sold so far, with the host nation and the US the top two buyers, the tournament’s chief operating officer Colin Smith said. Gianni Infantino, president of world football’s governing body FIFA, said 240,000 hospitality packages had been sold.

The Kingdom’s proximity to Qatar means this World Cup is the most accessible yet for fans of the national team, and for expatriates whose home nations have qualified for the finals.

The tournament will also boost Saudi tourism. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has launched an online service that enables holders of the Hayya fan card for the World Cup to obtain a visa to enter the Kingdom free of charge.

The Hayya card is a World Cup essential. Fans will need one to enter Qatar and attend matches, and it provides visitors with free access to public transport during the tournament. 

Qatar 2022 will be Saudi Arabia’s sixth World Cup, the last being four years ago in Russia. Coach Herve Renard’s provisional 32-man tournament squad left Riyadh on Monday for Abu Dhabi, where their training camp will run until No. 10.

The Green Falcons will play friendly matches in the UAE against North Macedonia, Albania, Honduras, Iceland and Panama, after which the final 26-man official squad will fly out to Doha.

Saudi Arabia will face Argentina, Mexico and Poland in group C, with their opening match against Argentina on Nov. 22 in the 80,000-capacity Lusail Stadium — venue for the tournament final.
 


Own goal dispatches giant-killer Macclesfield as Brentford moves into FA Cup fifth round

Updated 13 sec ago
Follow

Own goal dispatches giant-killer Macclesfield as Brentford moves into FA Cup fifth round

  • “Credit to Macclesfield,” Brentford captain Nathan Collins said. “They made it extremely hard for us. They put up a great fight”

MACCLESFIELD, England: Brentford will face West Ham in the fifth round of the FA Cup after dispatching Macclesfield 1-0 on Monday, an own goal ending the fairy tale run of the sixth-tier giantkiller.
The Macclesfield part-timers knocked out cup holder Crystal Palace in the last round and were hailed for pulling off one of the greatest shocks in the competition’s long history.
But they could not match Brentford, which progressed thanks to a 70th minute own goal from Sam Heathcote.
The big defender dived to cut out a cross from Aaron Hickey but instead diverted the ball past his own keeper.
It was a cruel denouement for Macclesfield, which held the Premier League club throughout an even first half before tiring in the second 45 minutes.
“I couldn’t be any prouder,” Macclesfield coach John Rooney told TNT Sports. “The lads were outstanding and the shape was really good. We train two times a week and we’ve put that performance on against a Premier League side.”
The fifth-round tie will take place at West Ham’s Olympic Stadium on the weekend of March 7-8.
Brentford has never passed the quarterfinals of the competition.
“Credit to Macclesfield,” Brentford captain Nathan Collins said. “They made it extremely hard for us. They put up a great fight.”