Barcelona ‘spectacular’ in La Liga, warns Real Madrid coach Ancelotti

Real Madrid’s Italian coach Carlo Ancelotti gives a press conference on the eve of their Spanish League match against FC Barcelona on Saturday. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 15 October 2022
Follow

Barcelona ‘spectacular’ in La Liga, warns Real Madrid coach Ancelotti

  • Barcelona are on the verge of Champions League elimination after a 3-3 draw at home against Inter Milan
  • “Since the start of the competition they have done every well,” Ancelotti said

MADRID: Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti warned his team that Barcelona have been “spectacular” in La Liga, despite their struggles in the Champions League.
Barcelona are on the verge of Champions League elimination after a 3-3 draw at home against Inter Milan on Wednesday, but come into Sunday’s Clasico at the Santiago Bernabeu as leaders, unbeaten in the top flight.
Xavi’s side have conceded just one goal all season in La Liga and lead Real Madrid on goal difference, both sides tied on 22 points at the top of the table.
“We’re looking at a team that’s won all their games in La Liga after drawing their first one, they have very good form in the league,” Ancelotti told a press conference on Saturday.
“Since the start of the competition they have done every well. They’ve had trouble in the Champions League, which usually happens in that competition, but in La Liga they have been spectacular.”
The coach remembered last season’s 4-0 defeat by Barcelona at the Santiago Bernabeu, where in the absence of striker Karim Benzema, he operated with Luka Modric as a false nine.
“It’s true that last year I tried to invent something and I paid the price for it,” said Ancelotti.
“The game last year will not affect us, because this is another season, another Clasico. We’re looking forward to playing this game, which the whole world will watch.”
Ancelotti confirmed that goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois is back training after suffering sciatica but will not feature in the Clasico, while Antonio Rudiger can play, wearing a protective mask.
The German defender suffered a bad facial injury against Shakhtar Donetsk in the Champions League, where he scored a last minute goal but clashed heads with the opposition goalkeeper.


Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils

  • The Spaniard will face France’s Arthur Fils in Saturday’s final
  • Russian Rublev fought back from 3-0 down to level the second set and then saved five match points

DOHA: World number one Carlos Alcaraz continued his unbeaten run in 2026 as he beat defending champion Andrey Rublev 7-6(3) 6-4 on Friday to reach the Qatar Open final, reaching the 12th summit clash in his last 13 tournaments.
The Spaniard will face France’s Arthur Fils in Saturday’s final after the 21-year-old beat Czech Jakub Mensik 6-4 7-6(4) in the second semifinal.
Russian Rublev fought back from 3-0 down to level the second set and then saved five match points, but Alcaraz ultimately prevailed to win his 11th straight match of the season.
“I know what I’m able to do every time that I step on court. For me it’s great. Obviously, the way I’m approaching ⁠every match, I’m ⁠just really proud about it,” said 22-year-old Alcaraz, who has been a finalist at the last four Grand Slams, winning three of them.
“It’s paying off, all the focus and attention. I’m just happy and proud about myself with how I’m getting better and getting mature I guess.”
Rublev made 14 unforced backhand errors in the first set, but outwitted Alcaraz with precise forehands ⁠that nicked the baseline as both players broke the other twice each to go into a tiebreak.
Alcaraz held his nerve to go 6-3 up in the tiebreak as a frustrated Rublev repeatedly smashed the racket on his left knee, breaking a string. Seven-time Grand Slam winner Alcaraz then pretended to slice but landed a forehand down the sideline to win the first set.
Alcaraz broke Rublev twice to go 5-3 up in the second set and was serving for the match when the world number 14 saved three match points to break back.
But Alcaraz pushed to break again for ⁠victory in ⁠the next game, and finally converted his sixth match point when Rublev’s backhand landed wide.
Fils reached his fifth career final with a commanding victory over world number 16 Mensik in just over 90 minutes. The Frenchman — who suffered a lower back stress fracture during the 2025 French Open that led to eight months out of the game — committed fewer unforced errors in an otherwise even match, while saving seven of eight break points and converting two of five.
“Eight months without playing, watching others and staying in bed. It was a long and difficult ordeal. But today, the comeback is all the more sweet. It means a lot to me to be in the final,” said Fils.