Ex-PM Khan calls audio leaks involving top Pakistani officials ‘massive security breach’ 

Pakistan's former prime minister Imran Khan speaks to media after appearing before the Anti-Terrorism Court in Islamabad on September 12, 2022. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 02 October 2022
Follow

Ex-PM Khan calls audio leaks involving top Pakistani officials ‘massive security breach’ 

  • The latest audio clip revolves around a cypher Khan has used as basis of his anti-US narrative 
  • Khan says to protect foreign office’s secret code his government didn’t make the cypher public 

ISLAMABAD: Former Pakistan prime minister Imran Khan on Saturday said the recent leaks of audio clips featuring discussions between key government members, including himself, PM Shehbaz Sharif and others, were a “massive security breach.” 

A slew of audio clips, a couple featuring Khan himself, leaked online earlier this week, creating a political storm in the South Asian country. The latest audio clip emerged on Friday featuring Khan, his then principal secretary Azam Khan and two top aides, Shah Mahmood Qureshi and Asad Umar. 

The discussion revolved around a controversial cypher, based on a meeting between then Pakistani ambassador to the US Asad Majeed and State Department official Donald Lu, that Khan has used as a basis to accuse his opponents of ousting him via a Washington-backed “foreign conspiracy.” 

“Who and what are behind this, I do not know,” Khan said in an interview aired on Pakistan’s ARY News channel Saturday night. 

“I do know that this is a massive security breach. Think about it, the conversations that took place on the prime minister’s secure line became public.” 

Khan said the conversations must have taken place over the phone. 

“I haven’t heard the second audio clip, so I can’t comment on it,” he said, referring to the audio leak that involved Umar and Qureshi with him. 

“But obviously, if there are three to four people [in the conversation] then there would have to be a microphone [hidden] in the room.” 

Khan believed someone was tapping the secure line to the prime minister’s office and it got hacked. 

On Saturday, Finance Minister Ishaq Dar said Khan’s then principal secretary had admitted to handing the cypher to Khan. 

PM Sharif’s government on Friday said the cypher was “missing” from the records of the PM’s office. 

“I had [one copy] of it [the cypher] and it… went missing or what happened to it, I don’t know,” Khan told the anchorperson. 

He said another copy of the cypher was sent to President Arif Alvi, who had forwarded it to Pakistan’s chief justice. 

The ex-premier said one more copy of the diplomatic cable was sent from the foreign office to the then National Assembly speaker, who had invited the opposition to study its contents. 

“So, the cypher is available,” Khan said. 

“We didn’t make it public because there is a secret code and as soon as you make it public, the foreign office’s secret code becomes public. That’s why we didn’t do it.” 

About his plans to hold an anti-government march, Khan said his party would “give an idea” about their next course of action after seven days. 

When asked whether Punjab Chief Minister Chaudhry Parvez Elahi would support Khan’s march, he said, “Yes, he is our ally. He will be with us.” 


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”